Hodge Ephesians Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark-Tillian

Puritan Board Freshman
I've read somewhere that the Crossway version of Hodge's Ephesians Commentary is abridged. Is that correct?
I think the Geneva Series is unabridged. Is that correct? I plan on preaching through the book in 2016 and am reloading my library with additional resources.

I have the Crossway version. The Series Preface says:
The originals ... have been abridged as needed, simplified stylistically, and unburdened of foreign words.

I'd definitely go with the Geneva Series version. To my knowledge BoT is not given to abridging works.

The BoT version is about 100 pages longer than the CB version. That's a pretty good sign that the Geneva is the better option.

Plus, Crossway replaced the Scripture quotations with the NIV!

Huh. You'd think Crossway - home base for the ESV - would have replaced the Scripture quotations with that version.

Nevertheless, Hodge is always worth reading.

Thank, gentlemen. I figured as much but wanted to be prudent. Richard, that is laughable that Crossway didn't use the ESV.

The copy that I have is from a 1994 printing, before the ESV existed. Perhaps they are using the ESV now.

My Kindle version from CCEL uses KJV and links to the the CCEL site when scripture is referenced. It does not appear to abridged. It's quite handy, although the table contents could be better.

To my knowledge BoT is not given to abridging works.

That depends. For instance, the translation of Calvin's commentary on Genesis that they reprinted elides a large part of Calvin's discussion of Genesis 38. Since their source for the reprint omitted something, so did the reprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back