History of the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Pastor
Can you good folks give me an idea as to what are some good books on the history of the UK, individually and collectively?...

England?

Scotland?

Wales?

Ireland?

I'm interested in all aspects, but particularly social and religious.

Thank you.

"Thomas Cartwright" emailed me and recommeded this short version of English history:

[video=youtube;ti12oGmllI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti12oGmllI0[/video]

Thank you, sir!

-----Added 4/25/2009 at 05:48:37 EST-----

I think these guys are to notch when it comes to historical accuracy.

Horrible Histories
:graduate::duh::duh:

"Thomas Cartwright" emailed me and recommeded this short version of English history:

YouTube - Sinéad O'Connor This is a rebel song

Perhaps a wee bit more academic, but thanks just the same.

Schama is quite good but for sheer style you cannot beat Winston Churchill's "History of the English Speaking Peoples". Churchill may have been an appalling military commander and a crackpot politician but his literary skills tend to be sadly forgotten in the shadow of his historical importance as a war leader.

Schama is quite good but for sheer style you cannot beat Winston Churchill's "History of the English Speaking Peoples". Churchill may have been an appalling military commander and a crackpot politician but his literary skills tend to be sadly forgotten in the shadow of his historical importance as a war leader.

I'm having trouble determining if this is the 4 volume set:

History of the English-Speaking Peoples by Sir Winston Churchill (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris

Amazon has a used set for $69.68.

We bought the 4-volume set of Churchill in paperback from Barnes and Noble. This was recent so you should have no problem finding it. For church history I'd recommend d'Aubigne. His works can be downloaded for free. I'll come up with the address if you're interested.

Ivan,

This book looks like it was "made" for you . . .

HistoryoftheUK.png

The download for d'Aubigne is americanpresbyterianchurch.org It is listed under "What's New", rather inappropriate since the site has been unchanged for at least 6 months. This is a very small denomination. They do the larger Reformed community a service in making these old works available.

A pretty good one volume history of Scotland is Scotland, The Story of a Nation by Magnus Magnusson.

It is easy to read, fairly thorough, and he doesn't uphold legends as truth. He addresses them, attempts to discern from whence they spring, and then does a very good job in seeing how they have shaped the culture and nation.

Last edited:

A pretty good one volume history of Scotland is Scotland, The Story of a Nation by Magnus Magnusson.

It is easy to read, fairly thorough, and he doesn't uphold legends as truth. He addresses them, attempts to from whence they spring, and then does a very good job in seeing how they have shaped the culture and nation.

Ordered! Thank you, sir!

How about the old classic, How the Irish Saved Civilization by Cahill? You can usually pick it up used cheap.

It is difficult to have a decent history of only one of the four nations as our historys are so mingled either directly or by influence. English history is after all a whole mixture of external influences, each gaining supremecy for a while. That is until the mix seemed to take off all on its own in the seventeenth century.

How about the old classic, How the Irish Saved Civilization by Cahill? You can usually pick it up used cheap.

I read some pretty scathing reviews of this book.

-----Added 4/26/2009 at 05:01:41 EST-----

It is difficult to have a decent history of only one of the four nations as our historys are so mingled either directly or by influence. English history is after all a whole mixture of external influences, each gaining supremecy for a while. That is until the mix seemed to take off all on its own in the seventeenth century.

Hmmm...I see. Does Churchill or Schama cover the UK as a whole while mentioning what was happening in Scotland, Wales, and Ireland?

Uh, oh...I may end up with two sets of Churchill's work. If I do, anyone interested?

Bullet dodged. I'll be getting ONE set of Churchill's work. I got it for about $45, including shipping. It's an old hardback edition that appears to be in good shape. Looking forward to reading the fine writing of Winston Churchill.

English Reformation by Dickens;
Scottish Reformation by Donaldson or I.B. Cowan
Scottish Kings and Scotland:James V-JamesVII by Donaldson

All 4 of these cover English as well as Scottish history up through the 17th century

A very good read and fairly historically accurate is Sir Walter Scotts 4 volume series(in paperback) on Scottish history from early medieval to 18th century.

Dickens ordered.

-----Added 4/26/2009 at 11:05:51 EST-----

Donalson's Scottish Kings ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back