History of the reformed church before the reformation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antipas_14

Puritan Board Freshman
I've been looking for a book that explains the history of the true church centuries prior to the reformation. For example, there were smaller movements prior to the reformation such as the Waldensians or the Hussites. Are there any books that identify these smaller groups throughout church history, especially during the Middle Ages?

Tim Challies may be able to articulate better what I am looking for:

"One thing I’ve noticed just about every time is that many of these church histories fail to make real distinctions between true gospel-centered Christianity and a kind of inculturated or tradition-based Christianity. That has always been disappointing to me. I suppose I am looking for a history of the true church, of true Christianity, not just a history of what calls itself the church or what considers itself Christian. And so I find that I am still waiting for that slam dunk church history text."

Does anything like this exist? I have Philip Schaffs church history, but looking for something a little shorter.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Luke G

I understand the desire for such a history, but the simple fact is that no human can write a history of the "true church". We can only write a history of the visible church (warts and all) and any attempt to do otherwise will only lead to division and distraction (and quite probably to bad history as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back