History of military tactics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
Are there any history books on the evolution or use of military tactics and strategies through history?

There are some good youtube channels such as Kings and Generals which has a good sections devoted to "Armies and Tactics" and also Total War History on the Invicta channel which has an excellent series on the Punic Wars.

I recall textbooks that I used in my Military History courses in college. So, yes, there are such books out there. And, if you haven't read it, there's Creacy's Fifteen Decisive Battles (available in the public domain) that would give a quick overview of the evolution tactics, as I recall. Of course it ends before modern warfare evolved with telegraph, railroads, and aerial elements with the War of Northern Aggression, the Franco-Prussian War, and other wars of that transitional era.

Military history is these days not much in vogue in the academy. Social history, on the other hand, is all the rage. ("What sort of shoes did courtesans wear in 16th-century Florence?")

So you'll probably have to look at older books. Creasy's Fifteen Decisive Battles, mentioned above, looks good, though I've not read it.

Military atlases might give you just what you're looking for, though these tend to narrowly concentrate on single campaigns or wars. They are usually quite expensive as well. Maybe a local library would have one?

I have not read any of them, but West Point's Military Atlas series might be worth checking out.

https://www.bookdepository.com/West...001550?ref=grid-view&qid=1557177371500&sr=1-1

There are some good youtube channels such as Kings and Generals which has a good sections devoted to "Armies and Tactics" and also Total War History on the Invicta channel which has an excellent series on the Punic Wars.

There are some great resources available on YouTube. I've quite enjoyed some of the stuff put out by Baz Battles.

There are some great resources available on YouTube. I've quite enjoyed some of the stuff put out by Baz Battles.

Ah yes! I forgot about Baz Battles. I am reading about the Battle of Wake Island at the beginning of WWII and just watched a video from Baz Battles on it yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back