History not cyclical, but linear: "God reminds us of this linear understanding of history, a beginning and an end, by the Sabbath."

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
--"...the Church Calendar repeats the same endless cycle, Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, Lent, Easter, Ascension, Pentecost, only to start over again with Advent. The biblical view, on the other hand, recognizes that the events of Christ’s ministry are in the past and that we are moving forward to a goal—the consummation of history, the return of Christ, the final judgment, and eternity with our triune Lord."

" Note the language that is used to describe the Church Calendar: “In the liturgical year the various aspects of the one Paschal mystery unfold. This is also the case with the cycle of feasts surrounding the mystery of the incarnation” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, p. 303, § 1171; emphasis). Notice that the church calendar operates on a cyclical pattern. It is ancient pagan religions that have a cyclical view of history: “The world-cycle runs its course, obeys it stars, absolves its round, and then the end links on to a new beginning, ushering in a repetition of the same sequence” (Geerhardus Vos, Pauline Eschatology, p. 334). A cyclical view of history is at odds with the biblical view, which is linear—a definite beginning and end, not an endless repetitive cycle. The Church should not expect “a quasi-consummation, which would bear on its face the Sisyphus-expression of endless toil” (Vos, Pauline Eschatology, p. 334). In other words, the Church Calendar repeats the same endless cycle, Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, Lent, Easter, Ascension, Pentecost, only to start over again with Advent. The biblical view, on the other hand, recognizes that the events of Christ’s ministry are in the past and that we are moving forward to a goal—the consummation of history, the return of Christ, the final judgment, and eternity with our triune Lord.

God reminds us of this linear understanding of history, a beginning and an end, by the Sabbath. " By Dr. Fesko: https://web.archive.org/web/2017092...s/45-why-dont-we-use-the-church-calendar.html
1670504769744.png

No Christian who follows a liturgical calendar does so because they believe in a pagan, cyclical time paradigm. They do it to have all the mysteries of our redemption brought to mind throughout the year.

Even our weekly observance of the Sabbath is a cycle of sorts. Every week we are reminded of the Resurrection. The reason the Christian Sabbath is on Sunday is because that is the day Christ rose from the dead. I don't think anyone would suggest we subscribe to a cyclical time frame because we go to church every Sunday.

Maybe they don't; but the practice follows it, which I think was the purpose of the parallel. And Holy days are no necessary or even expedient means to keep fresh the benefits of redemption in Christ.

That's an excellent wee article. Makes very clear, helpful arguments against the use of the liturgical calendar. He's not arguing Christians who observe the calendar are pagan but that the rationale is based on a pagan worldview. Christ's passion was once and for all: "It is finished." We shouldn't be repeating it over and over, even symbolically. As my own minister has said: we have 52 festive days a year and these days were instituted by God. As Fesko says: each Sabbath we celebrate, observe, meditate upon and experience the whole work of Christ in salvation.

Unfortunately, Steven has been suspended for wiping his account information and will not be able to reply. Folks, if you get fed up with the board, tell the mods and admins, request an account wipe and we'll lock the account. Wiping the info and remaining a member and posting is bad faith to your agreeing to abide by board rules when joining and presents a security risk to the board.

"It is ancient pagan religions that have a cyclical view of history: “The world-cycle runs its course, obeys it stars, absolves its round, and then the end links on to a new beginning, ushering in a repetition of the same sequence” (Geerhardus Vos, Pauline Eschatology, p. 334)."

While I agree with this quote from the article posted, I still have always believed that the other (i.e. in addition to the Sabbath/week "cycle") ordained patterns of the created order have a purpose. For example:

"And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven, to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years." (Gen.1.14)

"Hereafter seed time and harvest, and cold and heat, and Summer and Winter, and day and night shall not cease, so long as the earth remaineth" (Gen. 8.22)

"Forasmuch as that, which may be known of God, is manifest in them, for God hath showed it unto them. For the invisible things of him, that is, his eternal power and Godhead, are seen by the creation of the world, being considered in his works, to the intent that they should be without excuse." (Romans 1.19-20)

However, I believe that even these natural cycles are also constant/consistent reminders that history is linear - one day there will be no night, the earth will not always remain, there will be a judgment.

I'd agree that the Sabbath points to a linear rather than cyclical view of history, but I'm not sure that any or every annual religious calendar is necessarily pagan and cyclical, or what do we say about the annual religious calendar that God imposed on the OT church (celebrating the same festivals as their pagan neighbors but infusing them with redemptive historical significance)?

the Church Calendar repeats the same endless cycle, Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, Lent, Easter, Ascension, Pentecost, only to start over again with Advent. The biblical view, on the other hand, recognizes that the events of Christ’s ministry are in the past and that we are moving forward to a goal—the consummation of history, the return of Christ, the final judgment, and eternity with our triune Lord."
This is more of my thinking. Should I be bound to have to think upon, sing, and hear about Jesus being a baby for a whole month every year? I don't mean that sarcastically either. I love the incarnation and it is very special, but why is that forced upon me the same time every year? What if I want to hear other Scriptures preached?

I think my other issue is that Christmas is supposed to be "the most wonderful time of the year." It's almost expected to be a time where we experience this magical bliss of happiness for a month. But the reality is that most people can't live up to that expectation. In December, many families are still broken, people are still in pain and die, people still have addictions and miscarriages, depression lingers and intensifies, mental illness doesn't go away, and sin is just as prevalent. Misery still exists in every way in December, but the culture tells us to be holly jolly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back