History, Benefits, and Use of Standing Desks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
A co-worker was recently given a desk that moves up and down and she uses it like a stand up most of the time. Interesting read below.

Standing Desk: Its Benefits and History | The Art of Manliness

In the past couple of years, as studies have come out sounding the alarm on the ill-effects of excessive sitting, the popularity of standing or stand-up desks has soared. Those who have read much of the coverage of this trend might be forgiven for thinking that standing to work constitutes a new hip fad.​

Thomas Jefferson is perhaps the most famous user of the stand-up desk. His six-legged “tall desk” had an adjustable slanted top that was large enough to place a folio. Jefferson used the desk to draw up brilliant architectural blueprints for buildings like the Virginia State Capitol.​

Quote from the comments section:

The great English writer and Theologian, John Henry Newman, used to stand to do all of his daily writing. Known for having an indefatigable work ethic, it was said he would write standing on occasions upwards of 18-20 straight hours. That’s probably pushing it with the standing part, but undoubtedly it kept him on his game.​

Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson used one also. He had it made to order. I like the idea of bringing it back into the classroom, as I don't think it's natural for my high schoolers to sit all day.

One of the pastors from T4G uses one. They put out short videos of each minister's library and office, and I remember seeing it, but I don't remember to which minister it belonged....

I found it much easier to create handwritten flashcards by standing at a tallish table, rather than sitting at an ordinary desk.

I keep my laptop (my most-used computer) on the end of a bookshelf, the perfect height to stand while using it. Being able to use it with reference materials or mouse is a bit tough though.

I like the idea of an adjustable desk. It would be great for those days when I'm at my desk all day. As it is now, when I make phone calls, I grab the earpiece so I can walk around the house and get a little exercise while I'm talking.

I remember reading that during the days of the Reformers they would walk as they read. I find it interesting that so many of things once called "quaint" are now making a comeback. Another use of these would be to prevent chronic back pain. It would decrease the overuse of the hamstring when standing up and sitting down.

I walk while I talk on the phone. I pace back and forth like a caged lion. But I can't walk when I'm reading or I run into stuff.

I walk and read scripture. During my lunch hours I have access to a large meeting room and so I stroll and read, sometimes out loud.

I use a seiza bench once in a while to ease the pain in my lower back. Works well.

In the For what it's worth department, I've been a fan of mission/arts and crafts furniture; a book of such plans from the turn of the last century only has plans for seated desks. Makes one wonder when the move happened? Standing desks seemed to have less storage space, less horizontal space in general, and likely were more parsimonious in the use of finished wood, connectors and glue, etc. Big seated desks a status symbol, along with the huge chair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back