Historical reading plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I do not get as much historical reading done nowadays as I used to do, but making out a bibliography of books to read is often a good idea to keep you from just going between whatever takes your fancy. Here are the books that I plan to read in the coming months, God-willing:

Cambers, Andrew, Godly reading. (Literature and Puritanism)

Dikotter, Frank, The tragedy of liberation. (Communist China)

Drummond, Andrew L., and Bulloch, James, The church in late Victorian Scotland.

Dubrulle, Hugh, Ambivalent nation. (Britain and the American Civil War)

Evans, Richard J., The coming of the Third Reich.

Forrester, Duncan, and Murray, Douglas (eds), Studies in the history of worship in Scotland.

Foster, Walter Roland, The church before the covenants.

Kent, John, Wesley and the Wesleyans.

Littlejohn, W. Bradford, The peril and promise of Christian liberty. (Richard Hooker)

Mullin, Robert Bruce, The Puritan as Yankee. (Horace Bushnell)

Neely, Mark E., The last best hope of earth. (The greatest President before Donald Trump)

Scotland, Nigel, Evangelical Anglicans in a revolutionary age, 1789-1901.

Smith, Ted A., The new measures. (Revivalism)

Stauffer, John, The black hearts of men. (Abolitionism)

Stewart, A. T. Q., The Ulster crisis.

Yates, Nigel, Eighteenth-century Britain.

Ward, W. R., The Protestant evangelical awakening.

Weigley, Russell F., A great civil war.

Wood, Gordon S., The creation of the American republic, 1776-1787.

I haven't been getting as much theological reading in lately as I have been submerged in Dutch Reformed history. There is sadly a dearth of material in English on this fascinating period of Church history. Anyhow, let me know what the standouts are as you read through these.

I started reading The Last Best Hope of Earth this afternoon. I have an essay on Charles Hodge and the ACW that I want to revisit, so I may try and concentrate on Civil War history for a while.

I started reading The Last Best Hope of Earth this afternoon. I have an essay on Charles Hodge and the ACW that I want to revisit, so I may try and concentrate on Civil War history for a while.
If you want something in the vein of a general overview of the ACW from a unique perspective, consider trying to track down a copy of Emancipating Slaves, Enslaving Free Men by Jeffrey Hummel. It's worth its weight in gold for the annotated bibliography by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back