Henry Highland Garnet on loving your native country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The upright man will love his native country. A country every man has. For every one there is some tract of land to which he can point with more than ordinary pleasure, and say, “there is my country.” He may call himself a citizen of the world, and such he may be as far as possible, but still there is one land, which his mind and memory favour above all others.

Famine may waste it, and the sword may devour, nevertheless “the magnet of his soul” will point to it. Brothers may prove to be monsters, and the archers may shoot at him, and hate him, but nothing can take away the magic from the words; “the land of my fathers.” So thought Joseph. Although he sat on the throne next to the King, he could not refrain from tears as his brethren led his mind over the scenes of his youth. …

For more, see Henry Highland Garnet on loving your native country.

I listen to Celtic on Pandora. Some of the more moving songs are ones about missing home and longing to return. I can think of one about returning to Scotland. So touching.

Now those about Ireland, not so much :stirpot:

I listen to Celtic on Pandora. Some of the more moving songs are ones about missing home and longing to return. I can think of one about returning to Scotland. So touching.

Now those about Ireland, not so much :stirpot:
At least, not the rebel Irish land. Northern Ireland perhaps.

Now beautiful Wales, land of my fathers. I can imagine longing for those shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back