Henry Bullinger on the distinction between punishing blasphemy and converting with the sword

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... An householder knoweth that faith is the gift of God; and yet notwithstanding, he instructeth his children in the word of truth, he chargeth them to go to church, to pray for faith, and to learn it at the preacher’s mouth. A good father would think much, yea, he would not think well of it, if his son should say: Father, I pray you, teach me not, send me not so much to church, and beat me not if I be not there; for faith is the gift of God, which whipping cannot bring me to. Then what man can quietly abide to hear that faith is the gift of God, and that therefore no man ought for faith, that is, for the corruption of faith and open blasphemy, to suffer any punishment? ...

For more, see Henry Bullinger on the distinction between punishing blasphemy and converting with the sword.

I am not sure if I have posted this one on PB before, nonetheless, this source is also relevant to the subject of the OP: John Davenant: True religion is not propagated by the sword.

Aren't these two excerpts speaking of different matters, though? Davenant is speaking of individual Christians and ministers not "converting by the sword," and thus not crossing over into and acting illegitimately within the civil sphere, where they have no authority from God. But Bullinger is speaking of the magistrate's duty with regard to open infidelity and blasphemy. These seem to be addressing two different matters.

Aren't these two excerpts speaking of different matters, though? Davenant is speaking of individual Christians and ministers not "converting by the sword," and thus not crossing over into and acting illegitimately within the civil sphere, where they have no authority from God. But Bullinger is speaking of the magistrate's duty with regard to open infidelity and blasphemy. These seem to be addressing two different matters.

John Davenant is speaking of "its professors" (meaning the professors of "Evangelical truth"), which, given the context, can hardly be taken to exclude Christian princes.

John Davenant is speaking of "its professors" (meaning the professors of "Evangelical truth"), which, given the context, can hardly be taken to exclude Christian princes.
Christian princes, it would seem, have an oath and obligation to uphold the laws of their land. Nice quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back