Help with a Hymn/Psalm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
Today during worship we sang # 4B from the new RPCNA Book of Psalms for Worship ("Answer When I Call"). The tune sounded somewhat familiar (Spencer Lane's Pentience). I did a search at The Cyberhymnal and found a hymn/psalm called "On the Good and Faith," which was apparently taken from the 1912 The Psalter (published by United Presbyterian Board of Publications).

That tune is hauntingly familiar to me, but I am pretty sure I have sung from the 1912 The Psalter, and I can't find it listed in any hymnal of which I'm aware. The words appear to be paraphrase of the same psalm from which we sang (Psalm 4):L

On the good and faithful God has set His love;
When they call He sends them blessings from above.
Stand in awe, and sin not, bid your heart be still;
Through the silent watches think upon His will.

Lay upon God’s altar good and loving deeds,
And in all things trust Him to supply your needs.
Anxious and despairing, many walk in night;
But to those that fear Him God will send His light.

In God’s love abiding, I have joy and peace
More than all the wicked, though their wealth increase.
In His care confiding, I will sweetly sleep.
For the Lord, my Savior, will in safety keep.

I am wondering if this appears in another hymnal. If so, which one? Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Tim:

I did a search using Google Books > advanced search > exact phrase > In God's loving abiding, I have joy and peace

which in turn brought me to the 1912 UPCNA Psalter:
The Psalter with responsive readings - Google Books

and specifically, #7, "Quieting Thoughts", to the tune of Spencer Lane.

That was the only result of the search, by the way. So presumably, it does not appear in any other hymnal (at least not those that Google has digitized thus far).

As with similar searches on the web, always check back annually!
And always print out a hard copy when you find it--it may not be there tomorrow. :D

Old Blue Trinity has Penitence (Lane) 6.5.6.5.D @ 475, "In the Hour of Trial, Jesus, Plead for Me"

I am not sure if it is in the hymnal my Church uses but I enjoyed reading it here. I will be checking into it next Sunday. Thanks for sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back