Help me rephrase this sentence, please.

Discussion in 'Calvinism & The Doctrines of Grace' started by GulfCoast Presbyterian, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GulfCoast Presbyterian

GulfCoast Presbyterian Puritan Board Junior

I am working through some various materials to teach a class on the doctrines of grace. I ran across this sentence from Nathan Pitchford on the issue of the perseverance of the saints: "God's preservation of the saints is not irrespective of their continuance in the faith (1 Cor 6:9-10; Gal 5:19-21; Eph 5:5; Heb 3:14; Heb 6:4-6; Heb 10:26-27; Heb 12:14; Rev 21:7-8; Rev 22:14-15).

The "not irrespective" is throwing me off in trying to restate the point as simply as possible. Thoughts?

2. TheOldCourse

TheOldCourse Puritan Board Sophomore

It's basically a double negative. God's preservation of the saints takes into account their continuance in the faith. Or perhaps "includes" or "encompasses" would be better ways to state it.

3. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable

God's preservation of the saints takes into account their continuance in the faith...." Why? For it they are His workmanship....etc.

4. timfost

timfost Puritan Board Junior

Otherwise, it would be called "eternal security" and not "perseverance of the saints." Perseverance without perseverance wouldn't live up to its name.

5. GulfCoast Presbyterian

GulfCoast Presbyterian Puritan Board Junior

Thank you all. I understand the theological concept, but I was really struggling with the sentence structure, and trying to determine if there was a grammatical issue that did not line up with the theology and cited references. "Not irrespective" is not part of my normal vocabulary. :)

6. timfost

timfost Puritan Board Junior

Double negatives are not unconfusing. :D

7. Ben Mordecai

Ben Mordecai Puritan Board Freshman

I would rephrase, "God's preservation of the saints does not mean that it applies to those who do not continue in the faith."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.