Help: Historical Development of Transubstantiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtdabney

Puritan Board Freshman
I have a question for my more learned brethren regarding the Roman doctrine of transubstantiation. This question came up during a street witnessing encounter with two of the other elders of my church (I arrived after it was already over) and it stirred some interest in me.

As a former Catholic, I've read canon law and the decrees of various councils defining the doctrine. I've also read many of the early Fathers as well as J.N.D. Kelly and Schaff's treatment on the subject. Many of the early Father's argued for or assumed a real presence in the elements, though many were vague as to what they meant by a 'real presence' and certainly did not attempt to explain it in Aristotelean categories of substance and accidents. I find the Catholic claim to be anachronistic and problematic on many levels, but am interested in reading further.

Does anyone know of any modern works on the subject (besides what I listed above)? Rest assured, my interest is academic at best. I will await anyone's suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back