Hello, Janice (and everyone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary

Puritan Board Freshman
I have been following the discussions (from a distance) for a while now, and have just about screwed up the courage to join in...

Janice, I read with interest your post about the book you would like to discuss in the Ladies' Forum. I am not sure about participating (since it seems to be written for married ladies), but I would certainly like access to the Forum anyway. How do I gain access to it?

Also, this is the first online discussion group I have joined (gulp!) - any tips? There seems to be a lot of repartee developed already - this is as daunting as joining in on the playground! Do I "introduce myself?" or what? Sigh. I really hate feeling all awkward and like the new kid on the block...

Mary:sniff:

OK, I typed in a word and a different word showed up...HUH? I said "Screwed up the courage"

Let me try again - I have worked up the courage...

Mary:puzzled:

Mary,
Welcome to the group. Glad you could join us.

[b:14cecc84bf]Mary wrote:[/b:14cecc84bf]
Also, this is the first online discussion group I have joined (gulp!) - any tips?

Sure. Relax and enjoy yourself.

There seems to be a lot of repartee developed already - this is as daunting as joining in on the playground!

I think playground is a very good word to describe the forum. Sometimes it seems we're playing on the swings and getting higher and higher in our knowledge of the scriptures. At other times, its like we're on the merry-go-round...just going round and round.:lol:

Have fun.

Sigh. I really hate feeling all awkward and like the new kid on the block

The best antedote for that is to work on your "post count". Right now you're at 1. See how quickly you can reach 10.

On your mark, get set, go!

Bob

Well, I'm not sure what exactly to [i:41560f2d67]say[/i:41560f2d67], that's the problem...

My main reason for joining the group is to get some opinions about certain questions (doctrinal and otherwise) that I have raised over the last few years. But they are not necessarily "beginner's" questions, if you know what I mean?

The main problem is that I am a little shy and tend to think that the answers to my questions will be obvious to everyone (except me), and if I just try a little harder, the answers will present themselves...does that sound really dumb?

Oh yeah

I forgot...why is "screwed up my courage" on the forbidden words list?

[b:5cf0b0751a]Mary wrote:[/b:5cf0b0751a]
The main problem is that I am a little shy and tend to think that the answers to my questions will be obvious to everyone (except me), and if I just try a little harder, the answers will present themselves...does that sound really dumb?

I've been participating on the board for a good while now and, to date, I've never come up with a question that's stumped anybody and left them scratching their heads bewildered. Not everybody knows all the answers to all our questions, but its encouraging to know that somebody on the board has thought about the same questions and can provide answers or where to look for the answers. Those questions that never get asked are the same ones that others on the forum may be wondering about too (but were afraid to ask).

Bob

Hi Mary:

I Sent you a U2U, (an instant message). You can check it by going to your control panel.

Welcome to the board. It's so nice to see someone else from Michigan. :) Is there much snow where you live?

Hi Janice,

How do I get this instant message from you?

Actually, we're neighbors - I'm from the Detroit area as well...and it's snowing like crazy right now!

Please 'splain the U2U thing - like I said, I am a newbie!! And a pretty embarrassed one at the moment!!

Thanks, and nice to "meet" you!

Mary :rolleyes:

...I've never come up with a question that's stumped anybody and left them scratching their heads bewildered

Paul wrote:
Where was Moses' body burried:puzzled:

...Paul, on the other hand, has repeatedly asked questions that...

If you look at the top of your page....you may have to scroll to the top...on the right hand side of the page it will say:

Last active: 3-16-2004

You have 1 U2U message
[Logout - Control Panel / Options ]

You can click on either the "1 U2U message" or your control panel. Either one should bring up your messages.

I hope this helps you.

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome!

I will get my notes out (be warned!) and compose one of my questions within the next couple of days...

In the meantime, how about I start with this?

I was not raised in the Calvinist tradition. As a matter of fact, the few times I asked about it, I was told that it flew in the face of democracy - there are strong tendencies towards Universalism in my family. So, as I was doing some reading about different doctrinal teachings, I was quite surprised to discover that Calvinism (gasp) made sense! "I must be mistaken," I said, since I tend to have a difficult time grasping intangibles, like doctrinal concepts. However, the source I was reading mentioned Romans chapters 8-9. I read the Scriptures, read them again, and decided that I must just have a funny translation of the Bible. I have since looked in several translations (including both Protestant & Catholic - just in case!) and they all have the same basic message: God chooses whom He wishes to favor.

So, here's my question: if I (who makes no claim whatsoever to doctrinal scholarship) can read those 2 chapters and see CLEARLY that it speaks specifically about election, then why doesn't everyone see that? Why is Calvinism so disliked among most Christians?

OR, am I reading the chapters wrong? (Cuz that could happen too!!!! :wink:)

Any thoughts?!?!

Mary

Maybe it's just me, but I am enjoying the Bouncys :grin:

Hi from me, too!

As to Calvinism, I think it is because people do have "presuppositions" on this issue. They think that it is unfair for God to act as He says He acts in Romans 8,9; so they try to throw sand in the issue and make it muddier than it is. They want Him to be fair according to their own standards. They can't reconcile His love and election; because they think of love in a certain way. I don't think they realise that God's love, as He has revealed it, is better than any human ideas about it.

Hi Mary! I'm mostly a lurker and not a poster. I'm encouraged that there are others here who feel....kinda clueless. I'm undoubtedly Reformed in my thinking, but a tad intimidated by all the intellectual and theological Goliaths here. But I do have a slingshot and a rock....

As my pastor has said...

...the idea of free grace doesn't come naturally to us (which is why justification by grace alone through faith alone is fought every generation) and is the reason our minds will scramble for any excuse, philosophy, or anything else other than submission to His Word.

I got banned from another group the other day because I took a rather unyielding stand on the 2nd commandment. I'm not real lacking in confidence sometimes. But I'm puter-illiterate. I have no clue what an avatar is, but seems to me I've seen Francis Schaeffer. And I don't know to activate all those cute smileys. Hep Me!!!!

mjbee and Mary, welcome,

If you go to the FAQ at the top left, under XMB, they answer alot of questions about how to do things on the board like the smileys.

[quote:691f453dee][i:691f453dee]Originally posted by Paul manata[/i:691f453dee]
[quote:691f453dee]
I've never come up with a question that's stumped anybody and left them scratching their heads bewildered
[/quote:691f453dee]

Where was Moses' body burried:puzzled:

-Paul [/quote:691f453dee]
Michael would know! :saint: (Jude 9)

Satan knows where he was buried. He apparently fought over the body. Notice I say "was." I'm assuming the body may have been moved. Or perhaps Michael prevented it from being moved. Speculation is a BAD THING! Make me stop! By the way, ya'all can call me Bee.

Hi Mary,

Welcome to the board and please join us gals in the women's forum, and no it isn't just for the married!

Anne

The same small detachment of Bouncies that took part in the welcoming party now on their way to the mess hall for chow.

:bouncing::bouncing::bouncing::bouncing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back