Hello from the Mitten!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jonathco, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Jonathco

Jonathco Puritan Board Freshman

Hi everyone,

My name is Jon and while I've lurked on this forum for sometime, I recently took the plunge and registered. I'm from Michigan; I live just south of Flint and about an hour north and west of Detroit.

I am somewhat new to reformed theology and spent a long time in my life wrestling through teachings I was brought up on in the Free Methodist church of my youth (e.g. Wesleyanism/Arminianism). Through God's grace and a few faithful reformed brothers who the Lord used to influence me, He has drawn me from the teachings I was raised on, and today I consider myself a Reformed Baptist.

I've enjoyed reading this forum for a few years now, and look forward to continuing to learn from the wisdom (and occasional banter) this forum is known for! :D

2. C. M. Sheffield

C. M. Sheffield Puritan Board Senior

Hello and welcome! Glad to have you here. I look forward to interacting with you here and hope you find the exchanges profitable.

Can I ask what church you're a part of?

3. TylerRay

TylerRay Puritan Board Senior

Welcome, brother. :)

4. Jonathco

Hi Christopher,

It's funny you should ask, as I was contemplating my first formal post being about attending a non-reformed church, the challenges, and how to proceed when feeling the need to attend a reformed church but there being no reformed baptist churches within an hour drive each way of where I live.

In a nutshell, we currently attend a larger baptist church that has solid preaching, but ultimately, as I've grown in my reformed understanding, I've come to have concerns with some of the things practiced (e.g. lack of formal membership, no regulative principles in worship, a very loose view taken on formal theology, etc...). The preaching is solid and my wife and children are growing in their faith, but as mentioned above, I have concerns and would like to see us attend a church that adheres to the 1689 and the principles there within.

5. TheInquirer

TheInquirer Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!!

6. Jonathco

Thanks Jim!

7. Edward

Edward Puritanboard Commissioner

I saw that and thought that Romney was renouncing Mormonism (and the related theology of NeverTrumpism) and was coming out as one of the elect.

Well, greetings anyway.