Hello from the Far East of Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Freshman
I'd like to thank you for the years of resources already available to me here, in fact one of my main reasonings for joining here was to understand the Puritan view of the RPW better and I already found a few answers. I'm currently studying a capella Exclusive Psalmody and have struggled with it, but I believe I've come down on the side of affirming it. My pastor and I talked about it and he had me read an article by John Frame, and that exact article was already mentioned and discussed here. I will note: the pastor who gave me the article was not my OPC pastor.

I'm in a unique position. My mother and I (I'm 17) go to a Southern Baptist church about five minutes from our home, and our pastor who has been with us for a year taught me about Reformed theology. This past summer, I wasn't reformed at all. Consequently, what he taught me led me into paedobaptism and Presbyterianism, and I found a local OPC mission work that at the time only had evening services, so my mother and I started attending there as well. Soon I will become a member of this mission work and as of right now I desire, and believe I am called to, ministry. Once in the OPC mission work my beliefs about public worship began to develop, and here I am!

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome from the Far East!
Thank you sir! You're the one who posted about the John Frame article I mentioned. "A Fresh look at the RPW" so I thank you. If I have any further questions about would you mind if I asked them to you?

Tom Hart

Puritan Board Senior
Thank you sir! You're the one who posted about the John Frame article I mentioned. "A Fresh look at the RPW" so I thank you. If I have any further questions about would you mind if I asked them to you?
I hardly consider myself an expert on any theological subject, but I can gladly refer you to some sources. And if there is a thread on a capella exclusive psalmody, you'll very likely find me in the fray. :)

And if you are keen to get started with psalm-singing, I, and many others here, can certainly give you a few helps.

Afterthought

Puritan Board Senior
Hi! I started as Southern Baptist/non-denominational and changed around your age too (though I became Reformed Baptist first).

James 1689

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello from Kentucky. I too was part of the SBC and came to the understanding of the doctrines of grace and confessional Christianity. It has been a sweet and eye-opening journey. Praising God for your journey as well brother.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
(1) Virginia is not in the Far East! You're not fooling me for even one second.

(2) Ah, to be 17 again! (I was 50 years old the year you were born.)

(3) Too bad about the exclusive psalmody (a capella or otherwise), though.

(4) Welcome!

Inactiver user19912

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome to PB! I'm an EP PCA TE (without call) preparing to transfer into the RPCGA in Richmond, VA. It's nice to see someone from VA here.

Ignore the snark of non-EP folks, continue to study the Scriptural logic, and let the Holy Spirit direct your conscience.

Blessings,
George

TylerRay

Puritan Board Graduate
I'd like to thank you for the years of resources already available to me here, in fact one of my main reasonings for joining here was to understand the Puritan view of the RPW better and I already found a few answers. I'm currently studying a capella Exclusive Psalmody and have struggled with it, but I believe I've come down on the side of affirming it. My pastor and I talked about it and he had me read an article by John Frame, and that exact article was already mentioned and discussed here. I will note: the pastor who gave me the article was not my OPC pastor.

I'm in a unique position. My mother and I (I'm 17) go to a Southern Baptist church about five minutes from our home, and our pastor who has been with us for a year taught me about Reformed theology. This past summer, I wasn't reformed at all. Consequently, what he taught me led me into paedobaptism and Presbyterianism, and I found a local OPC mission work that at the time only had evening services, so my mother and I started attending there as well. Soon I will become a member of this mission work and as of right now I desire, and believe I am called to, ministry. Once in the OPC mission work my beliefs about public worship began to develop, and here I am!
Welcome! I, too, grew up Southern Baptist down here in Georgia. Now I'm training for the ministry in the Free Church of Scotland Continuing (an EP Presbyterian denomination).

It's encouraging to see a 17 year old pursuing these things. It's certainly not where I was at 17.

kodos

Puritan Board Junior
Welcome, brother! Encouraged to read about how the Lord is working in your life. May He bless you as you grow in grace. I am encouraged that you are learning more about worship. There are plenty of EP folks on this board if you wish to chat with us about communing peaceably and faithfully with a non-EP congregation. I hope this board will encourage you. Blessings!

Status
Not open for further replies.