Hello from Heidelberg, Germany

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by DamienEdwards1689, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamienEdwards1689

DamienEdwards1689 Puritan Board Freshman

Hi guys,

my name is Damian, I am 27 years old and I visit a Calvary Chapel in Heidelberg. I hold to the 1689 London Baptist Confession. Since there is no Reformed Baptist Church in Heidelberg, I visit the most biblical church in the Heidelberg area.
    I love reading the Puritans and about church history. The biggest influence on me is Martyn Lloyd-Jones. I study Latin and History at the University of Heidelberg to become a grammar school teacher.
    I am really looking forward to this board and conversations with you all.

Be blessed,
    Damian

2. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the board.

3. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator Staff Member

Greetings Damian,

Great to have more people from Western Europe on the Puritanboard. I trust your heart and mind is blessed and taught by the discussion here. I have also been tremendously blest by the ministry of Martyn Lloyd-Jones. In terms of the greatness and glory of the Christian life, you cannot better his statement in "Spiritual Depression"

"It is grace at the beginning, and grace at the end. So that when you and I come to lie upon our death beds, the one thing that should comfort and help and strengthen us there is the thing that helped us in the beginning. Not what we have been, not what we have done, but the Grace of God in Jesus Christ our Lord. The Christian life starts with grace, it must continue with grace, it ends with grace. Grace wondrous grace. By the grace of God I am what I am. Yet not I, but the Grace of God which was with me."

Welcome :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Amen Amen x 1
    • List
  4. jambo

jambo Puritan Board Senior

Greetings to you and welcome to the PB. Fond memories of Heidelberg after my wife and I spent a holiday in your lovely city many years ago.

5. Edward

Edward Puritanboard Commissioner

Guten Abend.

6. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the PB.

7. Jeri Tanner

Jeri Tanner Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Damian!

8. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Senior

Willkommen.

I was in Heidelberg once. Beautiful city.

9. py3ak

py3ak They're stalling and plotting against me Staff Member

Welcome to the Board, Damian!

A Reformed church is starting in Heidelberg, and they had services this morning. When you have an opportunity, this link might be of interest to you:
    http://www.serk-heidelberg.de/

10. jwithnell

jwithnell Moderator Staff Member

Hello and welcome! My sister has lived her whole adult life as a musician in Germany.

11. OPC'n

OPC'n Puritan Board Doctor

Welcome, Damian!

12. PhilA

PhilA Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome

13. DamienEdwards1689

Thank you very much for your kind replies. I highly appreciate all of them and am glad to be welcomed in such a kind way here.

Yes, I noticed that church. I follow them sometimes, but as a convinced Baptist I have problems with attending the services for a longer period of time, which is a shame. I like the pastor, he is firm in the Word of God and a kind man.

14. Jonathan95

Jonathan95 Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

15. C. M. Sheffield

C. M. Sheffield Puritan Board Senior

Sei gegrüßt!

16. ArminianOnceWas

ArminianOnceWas Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome, Damian,

I'm curious and would rather ask than make assumptions. Is the Calvary Chapel you attend affiliated with the U.S. movement launched by Chuck Smith?

If so, I'm further curious why you would find a Calvary Chapel more appealing than a Reformed church such as the one Ruben posted where you affirm the pastor as being firm in the Word of God?

In the U.S., Calvary Chapel's are quite non-confessional while also being very Charismatic and Dispensational.

17. RobertPGH1981

RobertPGH1981 Puritan Board Freshman

Greetings from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (USA)... Welcome to the Puritan Board

18. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

Welcome!

19. wcf_linux

wcf_linux Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome aboard!

20. DamienEdwards1689

That is a good question!
    First of all: yes, it is a church that belongs to the movement launched by Chuck Smith. The thing is that no Calvary Chapel is like the other and certainly not like the way they started in the 60s. And unlike other movements, the Calvary Chapels are more conservative-charismatic. The worship is done with modern songs, yes, but we take care that they are strongly based on Scripture.

Our Calvary Chapel here is very conservative when it comes to doctrine. Our pastor is a calvinist (James White once commented on this funny situation that the CCs produce a lot of Reformed guys), although we officially don't hold to a confession. He is very sound, very firm in the Word and strongly influenced by MacArthur and Boice. And he is certainly not dispensational but a historic premill.

Most of the members have a strong view of Scripture and a strong practial faith. I don't know that much about the CCs in America, but here they usually are very strict and not always arminian.

I certainly would attend a Reformed Church, if there were any that is a Baptist Church. Because of my view about baptism, I certainly cannot attend a Reformed Church like the SERK for a longer period of time, although I highly respect it.

I am glad about your question.

21. JennyGeddes

JennyGeddes Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

22. GulfCoast Presbyterian

GulfCoast Presbyterian Puritan Board Junior

Welcome to the PB! May your time here be blessed.

23. RickG

RickG Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome. I too am indebted to Lloyd-Jones and am enjoying his preaching more than I ever have. By way of further encouragement, If you have not downloaded the 80+ sermons in the intinerant preaching section, they are well worth hearing. To me they are amongst some of the most fascinating and powerful messages I’ve heard the Dr give. I’m currently up to a series of addresses he gave in Canada. It’s almost hard to put into words the great themes he tackles, and the powerful, evangelistic way he engages over the helpless state of the modern man and mindset, and the only true hope and power found in the gospel alone. A blessing indeed!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.