Hello From Florida - cloudman

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudman

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings Puritanboard!

A couple of months ago I was praying that God would use me to reach people with the gospel. God answered my prayer in a huge way, and I have been given an incredible window of opportunity from the Lord. I have never had a Roman Catholic friend in my entire life until the beginning of the year, and now a majority of the people I see every single day are Roman Catholic. So my life is a mission field, and I signed up for a Puritanboard account because I want to be better equipped in my mission field. Having lurked for years I know there are people here who can help me do that. I look forward to sharing my experiences with you all, and getting to know you.

Ask Mr. Religion

Flatly Unflappable
Welcome, Mac.

How knowledgeable are you concerning Roman Catholic dogma? I only ask this given that you seem to have only recently befriended a Roman Catholic. I suspect that your friend will likely not be very appreciative of the view that you consider him to be personal mission field. How do you plan to approach this with your new friend?

Last edited:

cloudman

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome, Mac.

How knowledgeable are you concerning Roman Catholic dogma? I only ask this given that you seem to have only recently befriended a Roman Catholic. I suspect that your friend will likely not be very appreciative of the view that you consider him to be personal mission field. How do you plan to approach this with your new friend?
I have listened to the Dividing Line semi-regularly for several years. So I have listened to Dr. James White talk about Roman Catholicism extensively. I have listened to some of his debates with RC apologists as well. I understand their view of Mary, Tradition "with a capital T", Purgatory, the papacy, Eucharist, Baptism, mortal and venial sin, indulgences, natural theology, and I am being very unassuming in my conversations with my two friends. I also went back and forth with a Roman Catholic on a sports message board for many years. He was pretty sharp. Very well read and studied, and not like the average Catholic who is pretty ignorant about scripture and what their church teaches. He was a lawyer, so I feel like that experience contributes significantly to my knowledge of Roman Catholicism. I have also watched a lot of the videos on Turretinfan's youtube channel. I am asking lots of clarifying questions in order to ensure that I am not wrongly assuming anything because I know that Catholics do not universally agree on everything. I am taking a while to inquire about what he believes because I do not want to project something onto him that he does not necessarily believe.

Having said that I have never gone to the actual catechism to read what it says. That would probably be a good start.

Herald

Administrator
Staff member
Mac, welcome to the PB. I'm a fellow Reformed Baptist to the south of you in Auburndale (near Lakeland).

Status
Not open for further replies.