Hello from England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott1

Puritanboard Commissioner
This is a good place to learn reformed theology and grow in grace toward one another.
:welcome:

It took some time for me to understand the main differences of the background you mention in your introduction:

Charismatic/pentecostal:

Arminian influenced + dispensational + no confession + "low" view of the church + "low" view of the sacraments

+ doctrine that ordinarily new revelation equal or above that of Scripture comes outside of Scripture through two or three spiritual gifts

Reformed theology:

Doctrines of grace ("five points") + covenant theology + confession + high view of church (e.g. church discipline, vows, accountability to confession) + spiritual view of sacraments

+ Scripture is the ordinary means through which revelation comes with the Holy Spirit "illuminating" our understanding as we study Scripture

Bookworm

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome. I trust you will feel at home here. Now then, are you willing to share your bangers and mash? :confused:

It's Yorkshire pudding and good English tea that I think we should export to the States (although I seem to remember that the latter wasn't too well received in Boston in 1773). :um:

On the other hand, the steaks are better on your side of the pond.

Curt

Puritan Board Graduate
Welcome. I trust you will feel at home here. Now then, are you willing to share your bangers and mash? :confused:

It's Yorkshire pudding and good English tea that I think we should export to the States (although I seem to remember that the latter wasn't too well received in Boston in 1773). :um:

On the other hand, the steaks are better on your side of the pond.

There was a reason we dumped that stuff into the harbor.

Speaking of steak; I was in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada two weeks ago. I had some of the best steak I've ever tasted.

JonathanHunt

Puritan Board Senior
Welcome Paul - good to have a fellow Englishman, and a Baptist to boot, on board! One word of advice, watch out for anyone who says 'rat brains'. They are not to be trusted.

Which now includes you sir.

Oh...rat brains!

-----Added 9/5/2009 at 05:14:43 EST-----

I appreciate everyone's warm greetings. Thank you.

Welcome Paul - good to have a fellow Englishman, and a Baptist to boot, on board! One word of advice, watch out for anyone who says 'rat brains'. They are not to be trusted.

Jonathan, your photo looks familiar. :detective: Were you at the Salisbury Conference last year?

Hush. I like to keep my attendance at extremist psalm-only conferences secret :lol:

PeterR

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello

I live in Scotland; sell second-hand books (including sometimes to creationist authors :wave:) ; and (in recent years) grow children. I'm the son-in-law of an American minister of a Scotttish denomination. I think that makes the children I grow tri-national (English by their father, American by their mother, and Scottish by their place of birth).

If I'm not mistaken this is my first post here, though not the first post in which I've been mentioned.

-----Added 9/5/2009 at 06:37:49 EST-----

PS further to above message, with regard to our reprint of John Ball's Treatise of the Covenant of Grace previously mentioned on this board: following a complete lack of response earlier this year to our attempts at contacting the previous "publisher" of our facsimile edition, we are now going direct to Lightning Source for this which enables us to sell it more cheaply at GBP 9.50 (currently about $16).

21st Century Calvinist

Puritan Board Junior
Welcome Paul and Peter. It's always good to have more folk from the old country here.

Peter, I am sure I know who you are. You used to live in Lochcarron? I am from Kyle. I was FP/APC, then moved to the FCS.

PeterR

Puritan Board Freshman
Donnie

Indeed - we were both baptised as adults by sprinkling within months of each other, if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise I know little of you, probably because you moved progressively further away from where I lived. Good to hear from you. :)

21st Century Calvinist

Puritan Board Junior
Yes, I was baptized as an adult in Plockton church. I did not know you were also.
Yes, I have been moving further away from the west Highlands. Here's hoping for a trip home around New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.