Hello from Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daughter of Catherine R

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings to all!
I have been watching this board for a few years and have finally decided to jump in. I found it difficult to pick a name for the board and finally settled on a reference to Guido de Bres' wife, which may give you an indication that my church holds to the three Forms of Unity.

I live in southwestern Ontario; was born, raised and did profession of faith in the CanRC, where I have stayed. God blessed my late husband and me with six boys, all married now. After some time of widowhood I remarried and I thank God for his grace in this!
I've been very active in church Bible studies and in every committee in our CanRC schools. However for the last 20 years I've also been very involved politically and have even run for Member of Parliament, as an outworking of my faith which led me to profess Christ's name there.
So just a bit of background--I look forward to interactions here!

I'm just editing to add that coming here has at times been like parting a curtain and looking into different vistas I've never seen before. Members of our churches can live almost apart from the world. We start businesses and employ fellow church members, we are busy with an overwhelming number of committees and groups in our church community and we work hard in our parentally run, non government funded schools. I feel we can sometimes lose sight of the other Christians running the race alongside us.

Last edited:

Daughter of Catherine R

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings Edward! Ah yes, Channel 10. I lived in London for many years before moving to Waterloo so I know that channel well but not sure about the UHF station. Didn't watch much TV.

Stephen L Smith

Staff member
Greetings from another member of the Commonwealth. I made friends 28 years ago with a man from Sudbury, Ontario. We both went to an Arminian Bible School here in NZ. I started my journey to Reformed theology a year later. Sadly my Canadian friend left the faith.

Daughter of Catherine R

Puritan Board Freshman
That made me smile, bookslover! And good to discover some other Ontarians.
I knew some Koks in London--I'm tempted to play Dutch bingo but I will refrain!
And then Paul Lawton--Peterborough, not Bowmanville?

PaulCLawton

Puritan Board Freshman
That made me smile, bookslover! And good to discover some other Ontarians.
I knew some Koks in London--I'm tempted to play Dutch bingo but I will refrain!
And then Paul Lawton--Peterborough, not Bowmanville?
Right, the church is in Bowmanville, I live in Peterborough. I always wondered if my signature is misleading.

Daughter of Catherine R

Puritan Board Freshman
Right, the church is in Bowmanville, I live in Peterborough. I always wondered if my signature is misleading.
There's a reason I asked. We have met before. The world is indeed small!
My husband and I left our Book of Praise and Bible in your church when we attended last summer and you kindly replied to my email to let me know where it was. When we returned, I enjoyed the chat with you and the rest of the consistory inquiring if we were attempting to lure your pastor to the CanRC by leaving our books :).
So your name is still in my email file. It is very nice "meeting" you here again.

Daughter of Catherine R

Puritan Board Freshman
I have relatives in Southern Ontario but most of them are closer to Hamilton. I do have a cousin who lives in Kitchener though.
It's likely I have known, or know of, some of them because most of my siblings live in Hamilton.
At this point, others reading this thread may be coming to the conclusion that Reformed church members who live in Ontario all know each other or our families.

PaulCLawton

Puritan Board Freshman
There's a reason I asked. We have met before. The world is indeed small!
My husband and I left our Book of Praise and Bible in your church when we attended last summer and you kindly replied to my email to let me know where it was. When we returned, I enjoyed the chat with you and the rest of the consistory inquiring if we were attempting to lure your pastor to the CanRC by leaving our books :).
So your name is still in my email file. It is very nice "meeting" you here again.
Ah yes, nice to make your acquaintance again. I am glad my joke was taken in the way I intended, that's not always the case!

TooManySystematics

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello! I'm from SW Ontario as well (I'm also very familiar with the London CanRC as well) I'm currently at Zion URC in Sheffield.

It'll be great to have you on Puritan Board!

Megs

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome from another Ontarian! It's so exciting for me whenever I discover other believers in this province!

Jack K

Puritan Board Professor
At this point, others reading this thread may be coming to the conclusion that Reformed church members who live in Ontario all know each other or our families.
No, but it is practically a requirement that upon meeting each other you figure out who is a mutual acquaintance, is it not? My dad grew up in Brampton and now lives in Listowel, so I know a few people in the region and can play the game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.