Featured Hello everyone.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Qoheleth, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Qoheleth

Qoheleth Puritan Board Freshman

I came from an Arminian Baptistic/Pentecostal background in middle school/high school (my family isn't Christian so I didn't go to church until my teenage years) and thought something just wasn't right. Under the influence of R.C. Sproul and John Piper, I became Calvinist in my soteriology for a few months in the first year of college, and abandoned it when a friend's objection proved unanswerable (at least I thought so at the time.) 3 years later, I became convinced of the presuppositionalist approach to apologetics, which opened me up to the influence of the great Reformed thinkers Dr. Bahnsen and Dr. Van Til. I found myself still sympathizing with Calvinism, even though I did not consider myself Calvinist, but the more I studied, the more I identified myself with the Reformed camp. I dug deeper and discovered (with such great resources as the Heidelblog and PB) that being a 5-point Calvinist is only a small (albeit siginificant) part of being Reformed. Then, I set my sights on adhering to the confessions, first subscribing to the 1689, and the WCF later as I read Dr. Clark's posts on infant baptism and covenant theology on the HB. I recently went all in and left my old unconfessional church to join the PCA church down the street. I'm looking forward to continue learning from all of you and finally being able to interact as well. I've profited greatly from the discussions that I've read so far as an observer.

2. Cymro

Cymro Puritan Board Junior

Interesting choice of non de plume! Welcome, looking forward to your contributions.

3. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable Staff Member

Welcome, Ty!

4. Ed Walsh

Ed Walsh Puritan Board Sophomore

Hi, "Preacher" - Welcome.

5. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

Greetings.

6. Qoheleth

Qoheleth Puritan Board Freshman

If I'm not mistaken, though it is usually rendered "Teacher" or "Preacher" wouldn't the most literal translation be "gatherer?" If so, isn't it in the sense of gathering an assembly? I didn't mean to be thought of as "the Preacher," although I guess I was asking for it.

7. hammondjones

hammondjones Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

8. timfost

timfost Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome!

:up:

9. kainos01

kainos01 Puritan Board Junior

:welcome:

10. Berean

Berean Puritan Board Doctor

Welcome to the PB, Ty!

11. Cymro

Cymro Puritan Board Junior

Hengstenberg translates it, gatherer.

12. BGF

BGF Puritan Board Sophomore

Hello and welcome! I see we share a birthday.

13. Clark-Tillian

Clark-Tillian Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome aboard.

14. LaurenC

LaurenC Puritan Board Freshman

Wonderful how God brings people from all walks of life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

15. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Puritan Board Junior

:welcome:

16. TylerRay

TylerRay Puritan Board Junior

Welcome, brother.

17. GulfCoast Presbyterian

GulfCoast Presbyterian Puritan Board Junior

Welcome!

18. Held Fast

Held Fast Puritan Board Freshman