Hello Brothers! I Am New.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TheReppingRev, Sep 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheReppingRev

TheReppingRev Puritan Board Freshman

My name is Andrew Levesque.

I am the Teaching/Lead Pastor (Elder) at City On A Hill Church in Brockville, Ontario, Canada.

Here Is My Story (So you may be better acquainted with my history and progression of faith).

I am 26 nearing 27, I grew up within the UPCI (United Pentecostal Church International), the largest Oneness (Modalist) Fundamentalist/ Legalistic Denomination in the world. I was raised as a fifth generation member. I went to one of their Bible Colleges and I was a licensed pastor within the denomination also.

After witnessing terrible pastoral abuses, neglect and being the recipient of it for years myself throughout my training, I decided to leave that congregation with my wife, my parents soon followed. The board of elders for the province ignored our situation, admitted they fell short and were unwilling to bring any correction and healing because of who our previous pastor had powerful ties with. I was given their blessing to leave that particular congregation, God had plans to use this situation to pull me from the heretical denomination as a whole.
    A very good friend of mine and I had a three episode special with Apologia Studios(Cultish) on the subject, if you are interested in listening to us for a short while.

I devoted myself to prayer and Scripture continually, with no external influences. I humbled myself as God removed pain and bitterness from my heart and replace it with Joy, Beauty and a Hunger for True Godliness. I searched the Scriptures daily and prayed for true Biblical Revelation. From that point onward I never again experienced Glossolalia and have not found any need to re-experience it again. My Friend Jeff reached out and asked me to explain the best I could what God was showing me through Scripture. He then lead me to R. C. Sproul, John MacArthur, Mark Dever, John Piper, and others. I became overflowing with Joy, because these wonderful men were explaining all that I was seeing and couldn't put into thought and words.

I picked up a LBCF 1689, and it blew me away. I listened and currently it is still on going, to Doctrine and Devotions working through it. I began to study church history and the fathers of the faith. I began to go through things like the Diadache, Creeds and Confessions, Apostolic Creed, Nicene Councils etc. Finding beauty in things like Augustine's City of God and Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. Things overlooked with privilege for many of you, that were kept from me as being false and heretical.

All the while we were holding family devotions growing together. People started to attend our family house worship and we began to build a faith community together. WE decided to plant a church, which started as a Pentecostal-lite plant. Now, last Tuesday the affirmation of congregant members was solidified and congregationalism instituted and other things ratified, such as the LBCF being our confession as a church body at our first business meeting as a congregation. A couple of elders were submitted including myself and were ratified. (we are still quite small but saw the significance of having accountability even early on). Now we seek a faithful commitment to a larger body of believers in association (options are small in Canada, if you know of any please help).

Here I am, grandson of a UPCI preacher, an Uncle who is a Pastor, my entire family that adhere to faith belonging to the UPCI. We are the black sheep of the family and definitely feel it now that we have solidified and proclaimed our beliefs publicly. I am A Reformed Confessional Baptist digging into the Puritans as of late.

It is great to be here.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    • Rejoicing Rejoicing x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Reformed Bookworm

Reformed Bookworm Puritanboard Colporteur

Just wait until you read the Westminster! ;)

Welcome to the Board, brother. Thanks for sharing your story. I will save you from being bombarded to fix your signature. Follow the link and get that situated.

https://www.puritanboard.com/help/signature/

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  3. hammondjones

hammondjones Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome!

4. Susan777

Susan777 Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

5. TheReppingRev

Thank you for having mercy on my poor soul ha.
    According to your signature you work at Reformation Heritage Books? I just purchase a couple of weeks ago from you, three works of art.

Puritan theology, The True Doctrine of The Sabbath and Reformed Systematic Theology.

• Rejoicing Rejoicing x 1
    • Praying Praying x 1
    • List
  6. Reformed Bookworm

Reformed Bookworm Puritanboard Colporteur

Yes. I work in the publishing end, specifically, in Digital Marketing and Operations. I pray the books may deeply bless you. Thanks for the support.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  7. JTB.SDG

JTB.SDG Puritan Board Sophomore

Good to have you!

8. JennyGeddes

JennyGeddes Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

9. Poimen

Poimen Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Hi Andrew. I live and worship in Smiths Falls (Free Church Continuing).

Do you know my good friend Pete Van't Hoff in Brockville? He pastors Bethel United Reformed Church in Brockville: http://www.brockville-urc.com/

10. TheReppingRev

I have been meaning to get in contact with him, another mutual friend told me about him. This is amazing, to meet someone so close to where we are. We deffinitly need to meet up.

11. Poimen

Poimen Puritan Board Post-Graduate

I sent you a message with his contact information. He is willing and interested in meeting with you.

12. C. M. Sheffield

C. M. Sheffield Puritan Board Senior

Good to have you, brother. I am delighted to hear of God's kindness to you in bringing you along in faith and understanding. And am always grateful to have another Reformed Baptist here on the board. Grace and peace to you.

13. De Jager

De Jager Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome, form a fellow Ontarian.

14. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator Staff Member

Hello Andrew,

Warm greetings from another member of the Commonwealth.

It was encouraging to read of your spiritual and theological journey and of your growing love of the Puritans. You may be interested to know that the Puritan board has two sister ministry sites: A Puritans mind https://www.apuritansmind.com/ and Puritan Publications http://www.puritanpublications.com/

15. jwithnell

jwithnell Moderator Staff Member

So glad to see you here!

16. Ben Zartman

Ben Zartman Puritan Board Sophomore

While there are Reformed Baptist congregations all over the place, and we all get along pretty well, and have communion one with another, you'll be hard-pressed to find a formal association that you can join. That is because (I've said this recently in another thread) forming associations is antithetical to Baptist polity. The LBCF has a paragraph that touches on this. However, you can by all means reach out to other RB congregations for support and encouragement--we pray for sister churches weekly, and our pastors are always willing to help a fledgling congregation with counsel and encouragement.
    And, of course, you can always ask questions of the baptists on this forum. We are few, but we hang tight.

17. StephenMartyr

StephenMartyr Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome! What a story!

18. mgkortus

mgkortus Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome

19. Sgt Grit

Sgt Grit Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

20. Edward

Edward Puritanboard Commissioner

Greetings. Is your worship in English or in French?

21. lynnie

lynnie Puritan Board Graduate

Wonderful testimony. Glory to God. I had a good friend years ago in the UPC, our boys were in the same class at Christian school. We used to argue about oneness all the time. She and her hub did eventually end up in a Calvinist church. Never lose hope in prayer. Welcome.

22. GulfCoast Presbyterian

GulfCoast Presbyterian Puritan Board Junior

Welcome to the PB!

23. Susan777

Susan777 Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

24. TheReppingRev

We are in a predominantly English section of Canada so we only offer services in English, I do know of those in Quebec that do both.

25. Saxon

Saxon Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome (or should I say Bienvenue?). ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.