Hello! and short backstory of my life/walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCotto

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello, my name is Anthony. I am a young Christian (22) in search of a church home. So here's my story. I was raised in churches my whole life. Mostly Reformed Baptist, and as I got older, some PCA churches. Around the age of 16 my parents were taking my sister and I to an OPC church in Hamden,CT for a while, and were in the process of becoming members, when they ended up getting a divorce, and after that they both stopped going to church. Since they both stopped going and I had not yet gotten a car of my own I also didn't go to church. So I ended up hanging out with friends, and living a very worldly lifestyle, in search of some feeling of comfort during my parents divorce. My grandfather began picking me up every Sunday, but I was never really interested in going to church on my own. I was only going because I had to. During this time my mother was depressed, she'd stay up every night crying, and I was always afraid that she was going to end up hurting herself. I would stay up every night listening to her cry, just making sure she didn't do anything crazy. Normally, after school I'd stay late, and hangout with the guys, and talk to girls, and just spend time away from home to get away from the depression that was in my home. Except for one day. This one day I just didn't feel like hanging out, I wanted to go home instead. When I got home around 3 I noticed that my mom's car was in the driveway, which was strange because she normally came home around 5 o'clock. So I walked in the house, and called her name. No response. I noticed her room light was on and called her name again. No response. So I slowly walked into her room, and saw her lying there on the floor. All of her prescription pill bottles were open and empty, and there were knives scattered on the ground. I ran and grabbed my phone in fear, and dialed 911. At the hospital they had to pump out her stomach and she had damaged her kidney. The doctor told me that if I had gotten home even 1/2 an hour later, that my mother would be dead. I was stunned. What if I had stayed after school to hangout like I normally did? And in this moment my eyes were opened. I knew that this was no coincidence. I knew that God had saved my mother. I was overwhelmed with tears, and cried out to God. His Grace is amazing. Ever since this day I have been living for Christ. My Grandfather continued taking me to church with him, but this time I was going because I really wanted to go. I was excited for church. I was excited to worship God. My Grandfather was kind of a serial church hopper, he'd find a church, really like it, and then find something wrong with it and leave to another church. To this day he is still hopping around. So one day, when I was 18 and I got my first car, I told him that I was going to stop going to church with him, and that I was going to find my own church. I was really young and immature, and had no idea what reformed theology was. So my first church was a small church in my hometown, called Glastonbury Baptist Church. It was an Independent Fundamental Bible Believing Church. I am very thankful for my time there, I grew so much. In my fire for Christ I couldn't get enough bible, and I ended up finding John MacArthur's sermons, and Ligonier Ministries, and a movie called "Amazing Grace: History and Theology of Calvinism" . I started to learn about the reformation, and reformed theology. This completely blew my mind! I began picking up puritan writings, and books by reformed theologians. So I decided to share my new found knowledge at the Baptist church, but they did not agree with me on my new Calvinistic theology. It started to get to a point where someone was always trying to debate me, or convince me that I was wrong, on things such as Unconditional Election, and Limited Atonement. It started to affect my fellowship with people there, and so now I have decided to look for a new home in a Reformed Church in Connecticut. I have also had a growing desire to get into pastoral ministry, and so I have joined this site in hope that someone will give me some advice in my search.

py3ak

They're stalling and plotting against me
Staff member
Welcome aboard, Anthony! Thank you for sharing that heartwarming story of the Lord's goodness in dark times. I hope your search for a church is both short and fruitful!

johnny

Puritan Board Sophomore
...WOW...

What a great testimony, quite affecting to read, (I teared up)
You are in the right place to get some great advice and I'm already looking forward to reading your future posts.

John 10(KJV)
(27) My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: (28) And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Edward

Puritanboard Commissioner
Greetings.

I thought about taking a job in Hartford some years ago. I recall that church pickings were slim in the area. Things look a little better now, but not much.

Here's a map showing NAPARC churches which may assist in your search. https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=18E9mrd-Gdf6F4qp3AMoEwcpXcbc The one in Manchester looks closest to you. http://www.manchesterpca.org/about.html#Who_We_Are

Things still look slim for Reformed Baptists. There's one in East Haven and one a little closer in Plainville. http://www.farese.com/rbcd/ct.htm

Alex Foo

Puritan Board Freshman
thank you for sharing a part of your life with us. I thank God for His faithfulness in preserving you and give you a heart desire to know Him more.

For church search, you may also consider TMS search (The master's seminary), and 9marks. I only endorse both of these because of their emphasis on biblical preaching, fellowship, and evangelism, but most especially expository preaching.

Since you mention John MacArthur, so TMS you should look up =)

ChananBachiyr

Puritan Board Freshman
Praise God for His wonderful ways. His timing is perfect!
I hope your mother is doing well these days, I'm sure you're being a living witness to her and hope God uses you to draw her to Himself.

Its funny, my story is quite similar, so many professing believers really don't like the truth of God's sovereignty in saving grace and man's sin bound will. It gets under the skin of many, I believe partly due to pride (we naturally want autonomy) and partly due to discernment (a lack of growth due to a lack of study and prayer).

PB is a great place to learn and find real encouragement, not that kind of encouragement that only tells you what you want to hear.

May God direct your search for a church.
And... coming from a man who is in the process of converting to Presbyterian from Baptist, don't cover your eyes to that possibility if God so guides you. You have a head start from where I started, already getting into puritans and reformed reading, I put up with Arminianism (while still learning about and holding to reformed theology) for about 3 years before I was forced out by my pastor's indirect (directly to me) preaching on the heresy of TULIP. :doh:

God bless you, friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.