Heidelberg Catechism

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDKetterman

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any good book recommendations on the Heidelberg Catechism. I have Ursinus' commentary which I think is terrific, but I was wondering if there were any modern studies on the catechism?
I'm trying to put together a mid week Bible study for all my friends on the catechism. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

:think:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any good book recommendations on the Heidelberg Catechism. I have Ursinus' commentary which I think is terrific, but I was wondering if there were any modern studies on the catechism?
I'm trying to put together a mid week Bible study for all my friends on the catechism. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

:think:

Sorry, not a book recommendation but I know the ministers at Heritage Netherlands Reformed preach through the Heidelberg Catechism yearly. Here is a link at Sermon Audio. You can find the last five years or so that the ministers have preached through the catechism.

SermonAudio.com - Search Results

Personally Ursinus and Olevianus are great (obviously) but they don't work well for your average bible study.

I have heard good things about G.I. Williamson's book but I have never used it myself. I wrote my own lessons on the Heidelberg and have also used Visscher's "I Belong" for high school students:

I Belong

Best little book I know of:The Heidelberg Catechism with Scripture Texts, Published by Faith Alive Christian Resources, ISBN#978-0-930265-67-0 it is paperback but a well made one, I got mine through Amazon with some other books so I am not sure of the cost, I doubt it is expensive at all. Grace and Peace.:popcorn:

I have used and enjoyed GI Williamson's book. I also like Herman Hoeksema's "Triple Knowledge".

If you contact Reformation Heritage Books they have a number of commentaries that are compilations of preachers preaching through the Catechism. They can be quite helpful.

The volume of profitable expositions and guides to the Heidelberg Catechism is quite large. As far as modern works, I would suggest:

G.I. Williamson, The Heidelberg Catechism
J. Van Bruggen, Annotations to the Heidelberg Catechism
Joel Beeke, Heidelberg Catechism Sermons
Lyle D. Bierma, An Introduction to the Heidelberg Catechism
G.H. Kersten, The Heidelberg Catechism in Fifty-Two Sermons
G. Van Reenen, The Heidelberg Catechism

I have provided links to online editions of Kersten's work and other valuable older studies of the HC and the Compendium here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back