He says, "My hour is not yet come..." and then He does the miracle anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Jesus tells Mary his hour is not yet....but then goes and does his first miracle anyway.

Did Mary nudge Jesus into action? The Catholics seem to say this. Or, was Jesus testing her faith, to which she tells her servants to obey him....passing the test (sort of like Jesus talking to the Syro-Phoenician woman).

Which "hour"? His public identification as Messiah? And for this reason we see Jesus charging people to keep his doings secret. Why the need to wait?

Well he did do the miracle, but only the servants and his disciples were aware, so in a sense he performed a private miracle.

His hour is mentioned a number of times, as also he tells the Jews that their hour of darkness had come.
I am studying John12:20-24 at the moment which has a deeper significance than the surface treatment.There He states His hour had come. Commentators as Stier, Gill and Henry would hold that the Greeks had seen His triumphal procession through the city of the great King, fulfilling Zechariah's prophecy; also had
heard of the raising of Lazurus from the grave, as v17-18 shows the crowd had heard
the news. But Christ tells Phillip and Andrew ( and maybe the Greeks also),that the hour of His death and resurrection was at hand through which He would be glorified above all that they had witnessed. But also the Greeks were an earnest of the gathering of the Gentiles which would spread His glory throughout the world, bringing to pass what the Pharisees unwittingly declared (v19)"behold the world is gone after Him".
With Mary there is the element of His death and glorification involved, but I think in the context that
the wine of the old covenant had failed,and it was time for the new wine of the gospel which could only
be secured by His death. He does not rebuke His mother but is repudiating the old covenant,and it marks
the transition from the old to new. From Moses to Christ. Now I am not sure if if it is Hengstenberg
holds to this view,it's a long time since I read it.

Well noted, Jeff.

"Hour" has theological overtones in John's gospel which are connected with the mission of Christ, especially His "glorification." As with the other Gospels there is a tension between the people's ill-informed expectations and the manner in which Christ fulfils His mission. In John's Gospel these tensions are stated in terms of "earthly" and "heavenly." They are looking for an earthly hour whilst the Son of man is fixed upon the covenanted glory of heaven.

By the end of the Gospel, when the hour is come, Mary is given into the hands of another. It is made clear that her earthly relation to Christ has no claim on Him at all. The first miracle prepares her for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back