He is exercised about the heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Ralph Erskine (The Nature and Excellency of Purity opened), Sermons 1:320:

I call it a heart-uprightness, or heart purity, because the man that is thus pure is not only pure outwardly in the sight of man, but pure in heart and spirit in the sight of God, who is a spirit. Many pretend to holiness, but, like the Pharisees, they make clean only the outside of the platter: but the truly pious and holy soul is most careful to have the heart right with God, and solicitous how to be cleansed from all filthiness of the spirit as well as the flesh. He indeed finds much heart impurity, but the soul of him is grieved at it, and he most ardently desires to be cleansed: “Wash me, and I shall be clean. Create in me a clean heart.” He is exercised about the heart, crying to heaven for more and more purity, and daily flying to the fountain opened for sin and uncleanness. They are much in secret, crying for purity; and even when they win not to a secret chamber – yea, perhaps when they are in the midst of company, – they will now and then be darting up some stolen look to heaven, and their hearts praying, “O for holiness! O for conformity to the Lord! O to have heart enemies destroyed and strong corruptions broken!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back