HDMI webcam upgrade - looks like we could be in lockdown another 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
What is the definition of HDMI for webcams, with so much online conferencing I was thinking of upgrading from my laptop camera

What is the definition of HDMI for webcams, with so much online conferencing I was thinking of upgrading from my laptop camera

Not sure what you’re asking. Webcam resolution can be 720, 1080, or 4k. HDMI spec for those ranges from HDMI 1.4-2.1. It depends on what you want to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HDMI is a type of cable, you may be thinking of HD video, which can be at different resolutions. Usually 720P, 1080P, and 4k.

For the most part, if you buy a 1080P webcam you will be fine. I've had good results with Logitech

HDMI is a connector/cable interface for transferring audio/video. It can handle a wide variety of resolutions.
I have no idea what your laptop will support because I don't know your laptops connections or specs.
I doubt you need a super high-resolution webcam though.
What kind of upload rate do you have at your house?
What is the current issue with your laptop camera that necessitates upgrading?

Camera resolution is not the main issue for most people attending online meetings from home. If your camera is being viewed by other people who're also sitting at home, watching you on a portion of their screen through an online meeting app, upgrading your resolution won't do much for you. It'd be a different story if you were, say, creating videos for YouTube, but that's not what you describe.

However, an external webcam does have advantages: A good one ought to focus better than your laptop camera, and that makes a huge difference. It also might be easier to position at a flattering angle—at eye level rather than below where it highlights the fat under your chin.

Also pay attention to lighting. Soft light coming from in front of you, so that it hits your face rather than the top of your head, makes far more difference than camera resolution. A light headset, or earbuds with a mic on the cord, also improves the experience for both you and others in the meeting. These things are the best way to create a professional appearance. (Also, don't attend in your pajamas, and put out the barking dog.)

The camera is just one part of the formula. What will the processor on your video card support, and what will your wifi and broadband connection support?

I would probably go with a USB connection for an external camera. But I'm using the HDMI for a second monitor....

Most meeting apps, like Zoom and FaceTime, stream at 1280 x 720, so I would go with that if you want optimal resolution. No reason to go higher unless you're recording for YouTube or something like that. But do pay attention to other features, such as mounting options and the quality of the autofocus. Those things may well matter more than the resolution. A budget camera that keeps focusing on the background instead of on your face will look bad at any resolution.

@Ed Walsh looks nice. I would think that 720 at 60fps would be a better image than the 1080 @ 30. Have you compared the two settings to if my theory is correct?

I would think that 720 at 60fps would be a better image than the 1080 @ 30. Have you compared the two settings to if my theory is correct?

I am not a true videophile. So far, I have only used the Logitech C922X for Zoom and Skype. But, in general, 1080p @ 30fps provides a clearer picture on large monitors (24" plus) and TVs. I'm guessing the main use for the 60fps mode is for capturing fast-action and for slow-motion playback.
Of interest - I would have guessed that a 720P @ 60fps file was a bit larger than the 1080P @ 30fps. But I would be wrong.
Here's what I found:

720p (1280x720) has 921,600 pixels, and 1080p (1920x1080) has 2,073,600. So 720/60 should have 1,843,200 per second. That should yield a 720/60 file size of less than 10% smaller than 1080/30. Depending on the subject and level of compression, the file size will change by more than 10%

Camera and lens and mic quality are also to be considered. I also have a cheaper 1080P, AUSDOM AW615 camera/mike combination. (about $50) The bigger bucks for the Logitech C922x makes a big difference. I suspect cameras in the $20 range will do the job, but I am glad I spent the money. I use a Blue Yeti USB Mic (mine is black) :) for audio, which is better than the Logitech mic.

Just used zoom instead of Skype (on Windows 8) and the invite was to a HD conference. Surprisingly the quality was noticeably different than the Bible study on Wednesday - from the same laptop camera?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back