Have You Ever Done a Great Wrong to the Devil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
"Doing the devil a great wrong...." Have you ever heard someone say that? I'm not sure in my readings of the venerable dead, that I ever heard one of them say that, however, blame wrongly given is sin (its a lie).

Here is Richard Capel again on that point, "Our heart does not stand free from highest impieties against God in our lust; and therefore, those blasphemies, that is, all sorts, kinds and degrees of blaspheming, are said to proceed out of the heart. Satan does not put them in. They are already there. Even if the devil could draw them out of the heart to spill over in sin, he would not have to. They will spill out by themselves. So, though the devil does not owe men any spite, yet, man’s lust may ruin everything, and will make some sin all manner of sins no matter what they are. I think the devil has great wrong done to him when men excuse themselves to derive their sins from him. It may be that, perhaps, Satan has nothing to do in provoking them to commit a particular sin. Men are not truly acquainted with the depth of original sin, nor soundly humbled, who ever thinks he has never done those faults, except that the devil had tempted him to do them; for a man has in him all sins that are able to be committed, (at least potentially)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back