Has anyone read The Battle for the Sabbath in the Dutch Reformation: Devotion or Desecration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking_Thy_Kingdom

Puritan Board Sophomore
The book is by Kyle J. Dieleman and comes at a steep $100 price tag.

Both the classic Dutch theology and Sabbath doctrines interest me greatly, I probably wouldn’t get it for myself but I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks and may ask for it.

Has anyone read it? The review in the Westminster Theological Journal was a bit mixed.

I’d love to just know the premise of the book. Do either of you know? Seen any other helpful reviews or discussion out there anywhere?

I read the McGraw review in the free WTJ Daniel posted yesterday. If you get the book I'd be interested if the author used or interacted with either Daniel Hyde's article on Drodt's Sabbath Regulae or E. Steward Lauer's article almost a decade old now I think arguing that Calvin was a nascent Sabbatarian (interacting with Gaffin and others).
The book is by Kyle J. Dieleman and comes at a steep $100 price tag.

Both the classic Dutch theology and Sabbath doctrines interest me greatly, I probably wouldn’t get it for myself but I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks and may ask for it.

Has anyone read it? The review in the Westminster Theological Journal was a bit mixed.

I read the McGraw review in the free WTJ Daniel posted yesterday. If you get the book I'd be interested if the author used or interacted with either Daniel Hyde's article on Drodt's Sabbath Regulae or E. Steward Lauer's article almost a decade old now I think arguing that Calvin was a nascent Sabbatarian (interacting with Gaffin and others).
I certainly will.

I did find a dissertation by Dieleman under the same name that may be of interest to you:
https://ir.uiowa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6938&context=etd

Bob, @Seeking_Thy_Kingdom did you ever pick up a copy of the Dieleman? I see used copies are now mid 50s. I'm interested if he interacts with Latin sources or just those things that are in English or secondary sources especially w.r.t. Voetius.

Given the comments, and the fact that there’s a review, I think it’s probable.

Bob, @Seeking_Thy_Kingdom did you ever pick up a copy of the Dieleman? I see used copies are now mid 50s. I'm interested if he interacts with Latin sources or just those things that are in English or secondary sources especially w.r.t. Voetius.
No, I did not pick up the book since it is essentially an expanded version of the dissertation that I linked to above.

The only Latin work pointed to in connection with Voetius is De sabbatho et festis. In Selectae Disputationas Theologicae Volume III, Ultrajecti, 1651. Other than a few Dutch studies referenced there is an English work available on Brill named Gisbertus Voetius, God’s Gardener. The Pattern of Godliness in the Selectae Disputationes by F.G.M Broeyer that looks interesting.

This does remind me that there was an old Dutch work you asked me to look at. Sorry it slipped my mind, I have been working grave shifts and my normal routine has been a mess.

No, I did not pick up the book since it is essentially an expanded version of the dissertation that I linked to above.

The only Latin work pointed to in connection with Voetius is De sabbatho et festis. In Selectae Disputationas Theologicae Volume III, Ultrajecti, 1651. Other than a few Dutch studies referenced there is an English work available on Brill named Gisbertus Voetius, God’s Gardener. The Pattern of Godliness in the Selectae Disputationes by F.G.M Broeyer that looks interesting.

This does remind me that there was an old Dutch work you asked me to look at. Sorry it slipped my mind, I have been working grave shifts and my normal routine has been a mess.
Sorry, I missed that the dissertation was at the link. I doesn't provide much on the Voetius work in the dissertation at least and it looks like only a couple even take notice of it in published books. Thanks. Yes; I've forgotten about that. I will search for what that was about to see if it was resolved or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back