Has anyone here tried this plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christiana

Puritan Board Senior
I began this bible reading plan four days ago and am beginning to see the advantage and blessing of such an intense intake daily already! I decided to try it for a month and to then assess and decide about going on with it. I read his bio and benefits of this plan and know that is also a desire of my heart, to know scripture and to love Him and obey Him more daily! Anyone here tried this before?

Bible Reading Project: Dr. Grant Horner's Bible Reading Plan

I'm aware that this has been discussed here:http://www.puritanboard.com/f25/value-reading-bible-year-49651/

But, that was then and this is now and I just now succumbed to the plan and its benefits as posted by Rangerus in the former discussion.

There's a time and place for all sorts of encouragements and incentives to read through the whole of Scripture.

Gaining the discipline to consistently read, study and meditate through is a basic part of the Christian life- this may be one way to do it, that is read through the whole Bible in a relatively short period of time.

(Sounds like this fellow promoting the system has a dramatic conversion testimony, also).

I've just been reading up on that other thread, and wondered if I should give it a go. I've been using M'Cheyne for 5 years, which is since I learned of its existence - I thought if it was good enough for Lloyd Jones (he used it from the time he discovered it right up until his death) it should do for me!
I've never found it at all onerous, though sometimes I can't wait to make it through my least favourite books (such as Joshua and Judges - just finished now) and on to my favourites. The best thing about it is the growing familiarity, if you keep going, with the whole of the Word. No little pockets of unexplored territory! You find yourself recognizing as old friends even the obscurest names in the genealogies.

The more intense intake and unpredictable mix you get with this one sounds appealing though. The only thing is that it also sounds complicated, as if it might be hard to keep track. Have you found that?

The more intense intake and unpredictable mix you get with this one sounds appealing though. The only thing is that it also sounds complicated, as if it might be hard to keep track. Have you found that?

Yeah, I'm curious if there's a simple way to keep track as well. The only thing I can think of is to make diagrams like this:

Matthew
[-]1[/-] [-]2[/-] [-]3[/-] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

...and cross off each number as you read that chapter.

Well, for me it has been quite simple as I put a small post-it bookmark extending out from each page/chapter I'm to read. When Matthew is finished I'll just go on into Mark and do the same as I will with all the other books in that set. I'll be doing the same with each set so there are only 10 bookmarks to follow day to day as you continue to complete each set and start over. Someone had modified theirs to read Romans each month instead of Acts and if the future I think I'd like to do it that way. For now it just works really well and without confusion. I printed off the bookmarks but dont use them as I refer to the set and find the applicable bookmark and go for it!

Wow, I hadnt even noticed that I now am a PB Senior!! WooHoo!! Celebrate with me! Soli deo gloria!!

Last edited:
Facebook has a real good group going for Dr Horner's Daily Bible Reading Plan. Here is the face book link.
Dr Horner's Facebook Page

There are many great ideas and tools to help and encourage you along the way.

I use a xl spread sheet to keep up with my daily reading. Here is a link to the xl spread sheet.

I started reading in March of 2009 and now am on year two. This one thing has helped me in my Christian walk more than anything else. But though my outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day, that He might sanctify and cleanse me with the washing of water by the word.

My wife and I use the Horner reading plan. I think it's a great reading plan and has a lot of advantages to it. For one, since it's the sort of plan where you're reading in 10 places, but not on a day-to-day assignment, it's easily flexable. So, for example, I have broken it into three parts: OT, Psalms and Proverbs, and NT. So I actually read more like 6 chapters a day, always doing Psalms and Proverbs, and flipping back and forth with OT and NT. And other times, I'll just do Psalms and Proverbs and work on scripture memorization or just meditate on one passage. The plan easily forms to fit whatever I feel the Lord is trying to get my attention on. I really recommend it. And to be honest, it's really not that much reading. The thing I found to be a disadvantage of the "bible in a year" type plans was that I really wanted more Scripture in take in my quiet times but I didn't like the rigidity of the daily assignments. I think the Horner plan is really helpful on this level.

I have made a few minor adjustments to his book marks, but nothing serious. All that to say, my wife and I really enjoy using it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back