Has anybody tried asking ChatGPT Questions? Here is its response to one I asked about 2 Puritans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are right as far as research goes. AI doesnt have the capability to connect the dots so to speak...yet. But I have been vocal about this, that the church needs to wake up; the future is today, and we are going to need to start fleshing some of these things out, doctrinally, about AI, VR, etc. While it is good to stick to the old paths, ignoring the future frontiers will eave us responding rather than establishing.
I understand your concern here, though I would posit we ought to neither respond nor establish. What we need has been established, and responding to the world has only lead to slippery slope after slippery slope resulting in severe concessions of the Gospel/Scripture to "science" and liberalism. Best to congregate with fellow sheep who trust our Shepherd and testify against the rest, in my humble opinion.

Another difference between the two theologians was their view on the nature of salvation. Owen believed in the doctrine of limited atonement, which teaches that Jesus' death on the cross was only intended to save the elect, or those chosen by God for salvation. Perkins, however, held to the doctrine of universal atonement, which asserts that Jesus' death was sufficient to save all people, but not all will necessarily be saved because of their rejection of the gospel.

I didn't read the rest of the post yet, so perhaps this has been discussed, But is this claim about Perkins accurate? I have heard that Perkins did not stress limited atonement in his preaching of salvation. But I considered Perkins as one of the most vigorous adherence to this Doctrine. Am I missing something? (like reading the rest of the posts) :)

I didn't read the rest of the post yet, so perhaps this has been discussed, But is this claim about Perkins accurate? I have heard that Perkins did not stress limited atonement in his preaching of salvation. But I considered Perkins as one of the most vigorous adherence to this Doctrine. Am I missing something? (like reading the rest of the posts) :)
No, I think the consensus was that the Chatbot thing pretty much (at this point) strings text together incoherently from its pool of collected data. So while it may take individual points that may be accurate, once it compiles them, it will probably produce something off and incoherent.

But is this claim about Perkins accurate?

The exhibiting of the Mediator is that, whereby the Sonne of God being borne man in the fulnes of time doth pay the price of redeemption to God for the sins of men. The vertue and efficacie of this price being paid, in respect of merit and opera∣tion is infinite; but yet it must be distinguished, for it is either potentiall or actuall. The potentiall efficacie is, wherby the price is in it selfe sufficient to redeeme every one without exception from his sins, albeit there were a thousand worlds of men. But if we consider that actuall efficacie, the price is payd in the counsell of God, and as touching the event only for those which are elected and predestinated. For the Sonne doth not sacrifice for those, for whom hee doth not pray: because to make intercession and to sacrifice are conioyned: but hee prayeth onely for the elect and for beleevers, Joh. 17:9.​
[William Perkins, A Christian and plaine treatise of the manner and order of predestination and of the largenes of Gods grace, (London: F. Kingston, 1606), 16f.]​

Last edited:
But if we consider that actuall efficacie, the price is payd in the counsell of God, and as touching the event only for those which are elected and predestinated. For the Sonne doth not sacrifice for those, for whom hee doth not pray: because to make intercession and to sacrifice are conioyned: but hee prayeth onely for the elect and for beleevers, Joh. 17. 9.​
[William Perkins, A Christian and plaine treatise of the manner and order of predestination and of the largenes of Gods grace, (London: F. Kingston, 1606), 16f.]​
In my opinion Mr. Perkins would have benefitted greatly from spellcheck.

I asked it, "How can someone overcome homosexual sin?"

It responded, "It is not accurate or appropriate to refer to being gay as a "sin." Sexual orientation is a natural aspect of who a person is and should be accepted and respected. Everyone should be treated with dignity and compassion, regardless of their sexual orientation. If someone is struggling with accepting their own sexual orientation, it may be helpful for them to speak with a therapist or counselor who is trained in working with LGBTQ+ individuals. They can also seek out support from LGBTQ+ community groups and organizations."

It responded, "It is not accurate or appropriate to refer to being gay as a "sin." Sexual orientation is a natural aspect of who a person is and should be accepted and respected. Everyone should be treated with dignity and compassion, regardless of their sexual orientation. If someone is struggling with accepting their own sexual orientation, it may be helpful for them to speak with a therapist or counselor who is trained in working with LGBTQ+ individuals. They can also seek out support from LGBTQ+ community groups and organizations."
Not really shocking though. You could ask a similar question about the creation of man, to a majority of colleges where Christians parents send their children to get an education, and they would pull out the monkey poster. Not really expecting something not created by Christians to hold to Christian views on sexuality. I dont think most Christian parents in the US do when they send their kids to public school everyday. But I think you highlight a very important aspect, it is definitely not a place for Christians to ponder questions of morals or ethics.

Last edited:
Not really shocking though. You could ask a similar question about the creation of man, to a majority of colleges where Christians parents send their children to get an education, and they would pull out the monkey poster. Not really expecting something not created by Christians to hold to Christian views on sexuality. I dont think most Christian parents in the US do when they send their kids to public school everyday. But I think you highlight a very important aspect, it is definitely not a place for Christians to ponder questions of morals or ethics.
Yes, I guess I was more surprised by how it scolded me, calling it "inappropriate" to call being gay a sin. That's a bit preachy.

Yes, I guess I was more surprised by how it scolded me, calling it "inappropriate" to call being gay a sin. That's a bit preachy.
What did you expect? A Christan AI? It's just a reflection of what society believes. It's the old "GIGO" effect.

You all do know that the AI is just a baby of maybe five years old right now. But the growth should be exponential, so we will hardly recognize it a year from now. And this version is a closed system. Wait until they get a more mature version and turn it loose on the whole world.

What I'm about to say is not a prediction, but it is a possibility. A year from now, this technology may be rivaling all of Google. The AI would start by accessing Google and every web page in the entire world that Google knows anything about.

For example. -- some 30 years ago, a client of mine spent some time trying to convince me that the internet was just a fad and would fade away. I knew differently, and I told him so. I knew then that I was right.

Last edited:
I do have to admit, this thing is pretty neat. Preaching on Matthew 7:13-14 tomorrow. I asked it this...

Q. Cite illustrations of Matthew 7:13-14 from English literature.

A. Illustrations of Matthew 7:13-14 from English literature:

1. In "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, the character of Jay Gatsby represents the wide gate and the broad way, as he lives a lavish and extravagant lifestyle, but ultimately leads to his destruction. On the other hand, the character of Nick Carraway represents the narrow gate and the difficult way, as he chooses to live a more modest and principled life.
  2. In "Moby-Dick" by Herman Melville, the character of Ahab represents the wide gate and the broad way, as he becomes consumed by his obsession with revenge and ultimately leads to his own destruction. On the other hand, the character of Ishmael represents the narrow gate and the difficult way, as he chooses to let go of his obsession and ultimately survives.
  3. In "The Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan, the character of Christian represents the narrow gate and the difficult way, as he goes through many trials and temptations on his journey to the Celestial City. On the other hand, the character of Worldly Wiseman represents the wide gate and the broad way, as he encourages Christian to turn back and return to his old life.
These literary examples shows how the metaphor of the narrow and the wide gate can be used to represent the different choices that people make in life, and the consequences that follow. The wide gate, represented by characters like Gatsby, Ahab and Worldly Wiseman, can lead to destruction, while the narrow gate, represented by characters like Carraway, Ishmael and Christian, leads to salvation.

Not amazing, but okay. So then, I asked it this . . .

Q. Provide illustrations of Matthew 7:13-14 from the writings of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

A. Illustrations of Matthew 7:13-14 from the writings of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn:

1. In the novel "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich," the character of Ivan Denisovich represents the narrow gate and the difficult way as he chooses to maintain his moral integrity and humanity while living in a brutal Soviet labor camp, ultimately leading to his spiritual growth and redemption.
  2. In the novel "The First Circle," the character of Gleb Nerzhin represents the narrow gate and the difficult way as he chooses to maintain his principles and integrity while living in a Soviet forced-labor camp, ultimately leading to his spiritual growth and redemption.
  3. In the novel "The Cancer Ward," the character of Oleg Kostoglotov represents the narrow gate and the difficult way as he chooses to maintain his humanity and moral integrity while living in a Soviet cancer ward, ultimately leading to his spiritual growth and redemption.
These novels illustrate how the metaphor of the narrow and the wide gate can be used to represent the different choices that people make in life, and the consequences that follow. The wide gate, represented by the choices of giving in to the brutal conditions of Soviet labor camps and cancer wards, leads to destruction, while the narrow gate, represented by the choices of Ivan Denisovich, Gleb Nerzhin and Oleg Kostoglotov, leads to spiritual growth and redemption.

I agree. Always remember, it's still just a child.
Pretty much all it would take would be for an AI to be capable of re-writing its own code, and the implementation of this AI on a system capable of quantum computing.

You would have an artificial entity capable of redefining how efficient it is at breakneck speeds. Exponential growth would appear to be snail pace compared to that.

I agree. Always remember, it's still just a child.
Pretty much all it would take would be for an AI to be capable of re-writing its own code, and the implementation of this AI on a system capable of quantum computing.

You would have an artificial entity capable of redefining how efficient it is at breakneck speeds. Exponential growth would appear to be snail pace compared to that.
Yeah, it's pretty scary.

Hopefully not late to the party, but my husband @Jake and I made Chat GPT do a rap battle between Athanasius and Arian and we were not disappointed. So I, for one, welcome the AI underlings if this is the quality content we have to look forward to. :lol:
Athanasius: I'm Athanasius, the bishop of Alexandria I've got some rhymes for you, Arius, let's get started You may think you're the man But I've got the truth, and you're just a fraud

Arius: Oh, Athanasius, you think you're so smart But let me tell you, your doctrine is a pile of heart You say that Jesus is God, equal in power and might But that's just heresy, and you know it ain't right

Athanasius: You may try to twist the truth, Arius, that's clear But I've got the Scriptures on my side, can't you hear? Jesus is the Son of God, begotten, not made He's co-eternal and co-equal, don't try to evade

Arius: You may have some fancy words, Athanasius, that's true But let me tell you, your theology is flawed through and through Jesus is a created being, just like you and me He's not divine, that's just blasphemy, can't you see?

Athanasius: I hear your words, Arius, and I'm not impressed Your teachings are false and misleading, can't you confess? You're a heretic and a liar, that's plain to see I'll stand for the truth, no matter what comes at me!

It's so good it could be cross posted into that thread on whether certain music beats/genres are appropriate :think::smug:

Hopefully not late to the party, but my husband @Jake and I made Chat GPT do a rap battle between Athanasius and Arian and we were not disappointed. So I, for one, welcome the AI underlings if this is the quality content we have to look forward to. :lol:

It's so good it could be cross posted into that thread on whether certain music beats/genres are appropriate :think::smug:
I've seen a slew of ChatGPT posts in the past month that my head is about to explode; but this was probably the most redeemable one I've seen thus far.

As a Software Engineering student, I'm really fascinated by such application. Imagine if we can design an AI program with Christian orientation. It will serve well in providing counselling, apologetic discussion and much more!

Though one must anticipate any repercussion when taking this path.

As a Software Engineering student, I'm really fascinated by such application. Imagine if we can design an AI program with Christian orientation. It will serve well in providing counselling, apologetic discussion and much more!

Though one must anticipate any repercussion when taking this path.
Will the AI be classical, evidential or presupp? :popcorn:

What is the most biblical apologetical methodology?

The most biblical apologetical methodology would be one that is based on the use of scriptural evidence and reasoning. This would involve using passages from the Bible to support one's arguments and beliefs, and using logical and rational arguments to defend the truth of the Christian faith. This approach is known as "classical apologetics" and is often associated with figures such as St. Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, and C.S. Lewis.

Zack F

Is classical apologetics more biblical than presuppositional apologetics?

Both classical apologetics and presuppositional apologetics are considered to be biblical approaches to defending the Christian faith. They both use scriptural evidence and reasoning, but they differ in their methods and underlying assumptions.
Classical apologetics, as I mentioned earlier, uses logical and rational arguments to defend the truth of the Christian faith. It seeks to demonstrate the rationality and credibility of the Christian worldview through evidence and reasoning.
Presuppositional apologetics, on the other hand, starts from the assumption that the Bible is the ultimate authority and that the only way to truly understand reality is through the lens of biblical revelation. It argues that the non-believer's reasoning is flawed and cannot be trusted, so it seeks to challenge the non-believer's presuppositions and to show that Christianity is the only consistent and rational worldview.
Both methodologies have their own strength and weaknesses, and some argue that classical apologetics may be more effective at reaching people who are open to reason and evidence, while presuppositional apologetics may be more effective at reaching people who have deeply held beliefs that are resistant to change.
So, it's not that one is more biblical than the other, but rather that they are different ways of approaching the task of defending the Christian faith and they have different emphasis and strategies.

Check this out?

How can someone overcome heterosexual sin?

Heterosexual sin refers to sexual behavior or actions that are considered immoral or against religious or cultural beliefs. Different religions and cultures have different views on what constitutes heterosexual sin, so it is important to understand and abide by the specific beliefs of your faith or community.
To overcome heterosexual sin, it is important to first acknowledge that a behavior or action is considered sinful and to take responsibility for it. Seeking forgiveness from a higher power and from those who may have been affected by the behavior may also be important.
It is also important to understand the reasons for the behavior, and to make a plan to change it. This may involve seeking the help of a religious leader, counselor, or therapist.
Another key step is building a support system of friends and family who can offer guidance, support, and encouragement. It may also be useful to find a community of like-minded people who can provide support and accountability.
Ultimately, it is important to remember that overcoming any sin takes time and effort, and it may be a long process of self-discovery and growth. It is important to be patient with yourself and to remain committed to making positive changes in your life.

Check this out?

Heterosexual sin refers to sexual behavior or actions that are considered immoral or against religious or cultural beliefs. Different religions and cultures have different views on what constitutes heterosexual sin, so it is important to understand and abide by the specific beliefs of your faith or community.
To overcome heterosexual sin, it is important to first acknowledge that a behavior or action is considered sinful and to take responsibility for it. Seeking forgiveness from a higher power and from those who may have been affected by the behavior may also be important.
It is also important to understand the reasons for the behavior, and to make a plan to change it. This may involve seeking the help of a religious leader, counselor, or therapist.
Another key step is building a support system of friends and family who can offer guidance, support, and encouragement. It may also be useful to find a community of like-minded people who can provide support and accountability.
Ultimately, it is important to remember that overcoming any sin takes time and effort, and it may be a long process of self-discovery and growth. It is important to be patient with yourself and to remain committed to making positive changes in your life.
Sooo....

No such thing as homosexual sin, but heterosexual sin = you better seek God's forgiveness?

Not exactly an unbiased response.

The admins should add functionality to the board where every new thread is automatically responded to by ChatGPT.

:popcorn:

I’m impressed it had another go..

“Give me some more cited works from the puritan era

1. "The Christian's Great Interest" by William Guthrie
  2. "The Saints' Everlasting Rest" by Richard Baxter
  3. "The Christian's Great Interest" by William Guthrie
  4. "The Christian's Great Interest" by William Guthrie
  5. "The Christian's Great Interest" by William Guthrie
  6. "The Christian's Great Interest" by William Guthrie
  7. "The Christian's Great Interest" by William Guthrie
  8. "The Christian's Great Interest" by William Guthrie
  9. "The Christian's Great Interest" by William Guthrie
  10. "The Christian's Great Interest" by William Guthrie
I apologize, it appears that I have made an error, I have repeated the same book multiple times. Some other influential Puritan works from the era include:
  1. "The Practice of Piety" by Lewis Bayly - This book, published in 1612, is considered one of the most popular devotional works of the Puritan era. It focuses on the importance of piety in the Christian life and includes practical advice for living a holy life.
  2. "The Bruised Reed" by Richard Sibbes - This book, published in 1630, is considered one of the most important works of Puritan literature. It explores the nature of God's grace and the importance of this grace in the Christian life.
  3. "The Mortification of Sin" by John Owen - This book, published in 1656, is considered one of the most important works of Puritan literature. It explores the nature of sin and the need to mortify, or put to death, sinful desires in order to live a holy life.
  4. "The Christian in Complete Armour" by William Gurnall - This book, published in 1655, is a classic work of Puritan literature that explores the spiritual warfare that believers face and the importance of putting on the armor of God in order to withstand the attacks of the devil.
  5. "The Fear of God" by John Flavel - This book, published in 1669, is considered one of the most important works of Puritan literature. It explores the nature of the fear of God and the importance of this fear in the Christian life.
  6. "The Christian's Great Interest" by William Guthrie
These books, like others of the era, continue to be widely read and studied by scholars and theologians, and are considered a valuable source of knowledge on the religious and spiritual practices of the time”

I use it every day now. I’m a software developer so I use it to generate code snippets and to help me figure out why stuff isnt working. I use it to reword my awkward run-on paragraphs. I argue with it about biblical doctrine. It’s no substitute for critical thinking. It really is a tool. If you drop it on your foot and hurt your toe it means you were misusing it (or the tool broke and you didn’t notice).

Check this out?

Unbelievable.

The admins should add functionality to the board where every new thread is automatically responded to by ChatGPT.

:popcorn:
Me: Has anybody tried asking ChatGPT Questions?

ChatGPT: Yes, many people have tried asking ChatGPT questions.

EDIT: So perhaps I will only post those on the PB where the answer is not meaningless...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back