Happy Fathers Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I believe you are not hearing me. The people of God, by default reject the secular (hopefully) and their honoring of theor parent on the sabbath is a response to Gods command.

Brother, if the people of God "reject the secular", then why observe Father's Day in any respect? Your use of it, as such, proves it has not been rejected at all, but simply modified. All you are doing is removing the innards of the world's idea (in this case Father's Day) and filling it with the 5th commandment hopping to sanctify it! If you honour your parents every day in keeping the 5th then do you call your Dad every Sabbath Day and wish him a happy Fathers Day day as you did today? Do you call your mother every day and do the same? If not, you are de facto, super- adding to the Sabbath by importing the world's day into the Lor'd Day.

You seem to be joining the 5th commandment to Fathers Day itself (which would be a new one for me!).

See above
You see above! ;)

"œThe believer is made in Gods image; by honoring our fathers this day is a reflection of God Himself." If I was to follow your logic here, my flock would be sinning by NOT observing Fathers Day as per the 5th commandment.

If your flock dishonors their parent on this day, they are sinning as we are called to honor our parents everyday.

That is not what I said, nor was I even hinting at. I'll repeat to you my statement brother. In light of your statement, "by honoring our fathers this day is a reflection of God Himself" , it follows that my flock would be sinning by NOT observing Fathers Day as per the 5th commandment!

Brother, the fact that it is called a "Day" should be the first indication that we ought to avoid it on the Sabbath.

Again, you are confusing my obedience with the secular.

Not so. You are importing the secular, then gutting it and filling it with the 5th commandment in some attempt to sanctify or justify it.

Its not Fathers Day, it is the commemoration of the risen Lord. There is only one to be honoured on the first Day of the week, and that is Christ.

Really? The commandment reads:

Exodus 20:12 12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Do I not honor my parent on the day we honor the Lord?

Brother, I was not arguing, nor does my post even hint at, NOT honouring our authorities on the Sabbath. I'm not sure where you are getting this idea from. Others on this list seem to understand quite well what I am saying. I'm sorry I'm not making myself clear to you.

Would you mind addressing my post above where I cite Eph 6?

I'm not sure what to address. Do you want me to address the Greek? Are you seriously arguing for a priority of the second table over the first table because it is the "first commandment with a promise"?

Pax.

JL

[Edited on 6-19-2006 by JOwen]

Originally posted by houseparent
Those of you against fathers day on Sunday, what do you think I should have down when my girls surprised me with a song and card just after Midnight? Scolded them? Maybe I could have taught them something, maybe I should have, but I have a hard time thinking I made a big mistake thanking them...

Brother I will tell you what we did with all four of our parents the day we discovered that the Sabbath was to be sanctified unto the Lord. Perhaps this might help you with your own kids.

We sat down with our parents and told them how much we loved them, and how much we appreciated their input in our lives. We showered them with affection and gifts to demonstrate our deep and abiding love to them. Then we told them that because of our view on the Sabbath, we plan on doing Father's Day and Mother's Day each Saturday before the Sunday of each. We told them it was not about our love to them (we established that already), but our commitment to the Lord.

We did the same thing for birthdays and anniversaries that fall on the Sabbath. So far (11 years now) it has worked out splendidly. I', sure if yo told your children that you'd rather see this kind of celebration done on the Saturday before, they would wish to "honour you", and acquiesce to your wishes.

Blessings!

JL

While that sounds great, do you know what I do for a living? Don't get me wrong, our kids are awesome, but many would find that to be strange and kind of off the wall. I am not saying I wouldn't do it nor am I looking for reasons not to, but the kids I work with, while very respectful for the most part, are as far from theologically sound as a one can get. To explain this to them would be a pretty big challange.

Anyway, I guess I have some more growing to do because I don't find fathers day on Sunday to be all that serious, I am not a sabatarian (if I even used the correct word).

Originally posted by houseparent
To my dad Glen and all the other dads out there. May God richly bless you today and all days.:amen:
Anyway, I almost forgot...:ditto: to you as well! Thanks.

[Edited on 6-19-2006 by blhowes]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back