Happy Birthday Mozart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
Mozart at Wikipedia

Jan 27th, 1756.

Isn't Eine Kleine Nachmusic overplayed, underplayed or played enough? Almost every movie where there is a sophisticated and formal function, this piece is usually played. Aristocrats :mad: can kill a good thing.

Sheet music of all Mozart's works online for his 250th anniversary

Dec 12, 2006

VIENNA (AFP) - Sheet music of all of Mozart's works is now available online for free, following an initiative by Salzburg's International Foundation Mozarteum in honour of the 250th anniversary of his birth.

"With over 400,000 hits on the website in the first 12 hours, one can say demand surpassed our expectations," Mirjam Nellman, spokeswoman for the foundation, based in Mozart's birthplace of Salzburg, told AFP Tuesday.

"The server is a little slow at the moment because of strong demand, but we are working on it," she added.

The unique initiative, entitled NMA Online -- for "Neue Mozart Ausgabe," or new Mozart edition -- was launched with the help of the Packard Humanities Institute in Los Altos, California.

"The purpose of this web site is to make Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's musical compositions widely and conveniently accessible to the public, for personal study and for educational and classroom use," the Mozarteum said in a statement.

The website draws from the original Neue Mozart Ausgabe paper version developed since 1954 by internationally renowned musicologists and comprising over 125 booklets of sheet music, whose origin has been painstakingly authenticated, the Salzburg foundation said.

The "Digital Mozart Edition" (DME) website -- http://dme.mozarteum.at -- features over 600 works by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, separated into ten categories, from concertos for orchestra to chamber music and pieces for piano.

Extraordinary! On the page it looked nothing. The beginning
simple, almost comic. Just a pulse - bassoons and basset horns -
like a rusty squeezebox. Then suddenly - high above it - an
oboe, a single note, hanging there unwavering, till a clarinet took
over and sweetened it into a phrase of such delight! This was no
composition by a performing monkey! This was a music I'd never
heard. Filled with such longing, such unfulfillable longing, it had
me trembling. It seemed to me that I was hearing a voice of God.

Salieri's voice-over from the movie 'Amadeus'. I love that part.

And this part:

Astounding! It was actually beyond belief. These were first and
only drafts of music yet they showed no corrections of any kind.
Not one. Do you realize what that meant?

He'd simply put down music already finished in his head. Page
after page of it, as if he was just taking dictation. And music fin-
ished as no music is ever finished.

Displace one note and there would be diminishment. Displace
one phrase, and the structure would fall. It was clear to me. That
sound I had heard in the Archbishop's palace had been no acci-
dent. Here again was the very voice of God! I was staring
through the cage of those meticulous ink-strokes at an absolute,
inimitable beauty.

Mozart piano score discovered in Salzburg

Wed Dec 27, 2006

VIENNA (AFP) - A hitherto unknown piano score extremely likely to be by the young Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart has been discovered in the composer's birthplace Salzburg, Austrian broadcaster ORF said.

The score's facsimile will be officially presented and played by clavichordist Florian Birsak on Friday, it said.

Some time ago, the archives of the city's episcopal office were offered unsigned keyboard works, including an "Allegro di Wolfgango Mozart". Detailed tests led experts to conclude that the piece was indeed written by the master, when he was between six and 10 years old.

A second score in the collection could also be by Mozart.

Mozart was born 250 years ago, and Austria has been abuzz with events marking the occasion all year long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back