Hanserd Knollys, Exposition on Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
Reader,

Saint Paul confessed, that he (and other able ministers of the New Testament, 2 Cor. 3:6 ) did know but in part (1 Cor. 13:9,10), though they were stewards of the mysteries of God (1 Cor. 4:1). And Calvin, Beza, yea, Austin, and the ancient fathers did profess, that they understood not the Revelation of the Prophecies written by John in this Book: And although I have read this book of Holy Scripture of Truth many times over, I have also read the profitable labours of those learned men who have written thereon: Yet I do acknowledge the prophetical part of this Book is so mysterious that I know very little of the mystery of the prophecies thereof. Notwithstanding, I will give the wonders two reasons why I here present this exposition of the whole book of the Revelation, to be read by them. First, Those learned and godly men have improved their five talents of knowledge and wisdom, in their studies and labours published for the benefit of others, in preaching, expounding, and writing their understanding of the Revelation of Jesus Christ to his servant John (written in this Book: ). And I dare not hide my talent, knowing that my Lord and Master will shortly call me to give an account of my stewardship. Secondly, that promised blessing (Rev. 1:3), did encourage me to read, study, and expound this part of the Holy Scripture, publicly in the course of my ministry: And now (being aged), I have adventured to publish of them that shall read it, that they also may be partakers of that blessing.

And now I do humbly counsel the reader to consider, that the words of the prophecy of this Book, do bear an allusion unto other sacred prophecies in the Holy Scripture, wherein several things are spoken after the manner of the holy prophets and customs of the Jews. The historical matter of this Book concerns the state of the church of God, from the days of the Apostle John in the Isle of Patmos (about the year 96) in the reign of Domitian the Emperor unto the end of this world. And therefore, I would advise the reader diligently to observe what is already past and fulfilled, what is now fulfilling in our days, and what is hereafter to be fulfilled. And to that end search the Scriptures, read ecclesiastical histories, and other expositions of the Book, together with this exposition.

That hereby, when you read the Book of the Revelation, you may understand the mysteries, the prophecies, and the visions therein contained, especially the vision of the seven seals, which contain the judgments of God, that he executed upon the heathen pagan idolaters (Rev. 6:4–17), and of the seven trumpets, which contain the woes God executed upon the Asian apostate persecutors (Rev. 8:7–13; 9:1–21), and of the seven vials of the last plagues of God Almighty, which he will cause his angels to pour out upon the Roman anti-Christian papal beast, whore, and false prophet, to their utter destruction (Rev. 16th Chapter and 18:8–10; 19–21; 19:19).

Lastly, Consider the glorious appearance of our blessed LORD Jesus Christ at his second coming (Rev. 20, 21, 22). Chapters of this prophecy of the Revelation, and the glorious state of the kingdoms of Christ, and of the church of God on Earth (Rev. 5:9,10; 21:1,2,3,4,5; 22:7–20).

Courteous reader, I have purposely omitted to write or print the words of many scriptures in this exposition, because i was not willing to make the book, nor price of it great, the worth whereof being (in my opinion) small, but yet I do entreat thee to read the words thereof in the Bible diligently, for they are the Scripture proof of that which I propound, and the ground of faith to believe it; that so thy faith may not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God (1 Cor. 2:5). Pray often and fervently, that God will open those Scriptures unto thee, and open thy understanding, and seal instruction upon thy heart. Amen.

So prayeth thy soul’s friend,

H. K.

An Expostion On the Book of The Revelation By Hanserd Knollys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back