Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Just for fun, here are the seven recordings I own, with annotations:

Royal Philharmonic Chorus
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Sir Thomas Beecham, conductor
Recorded in 1959
Jennifer Vyvyan - soprano, Monica Sinclair - mezzo-soprano, Jon Vickers - tenor, Giorgio Tozzi - bass
Note: Stay away from this one because Beecham decided he knew better than Handel how Handel's music should be orchestrated, and had that done. It's a still-controversial recording.

London Symphony Chorus
London Symphony Orchestra
Sir Adrian Boult, conductor
Recorded in 1961
Dame Joan Sutherland - soprano, Grace Bumbry - mezzo-soprano, Kenneth McKellar - tenor, David Ward - bass
Note: This is one of the best of the "large forces" recordings, with slow tempos. But it's gorgeous!

Chicago Symphony Chorus
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Sir Georg Solti, conductor
Recorded in 1984
Kiri te Kanawa - soprano, Anne Gjevang - mezzo-soprano, Keith Lewis - tenor, Gwynne Howell - bass
Note: Another "large forces" recordings by a master conductor

The Huddersfield Choral Society
Sir Charles Mackerras, conductor
Recorded in 1988
Felicity Lott - soprano, Felicity Palmer - mezzo-soprano, Philip Langridge - tenor, Robert Lloyd - bass
Note: Yet another "large forces" recording, but this one uses Mozart's partial re-orchestration of the music.

The English Concert Choir
The English Concert
Trevor Pinnock, conductor
Recorded in 1988
Arleen Auger - soprano, Anne Sofie von Otter - contralto, Michael Chance - boy treble, Howard Crook - tenor, John Tomlinson - bass
Note: One of the best of the "authentic peformance" "small forces" recordings, and my personal favorite of those that I own.

The Trinity Choir
The Trinity Orchestra
Owen Burdick, conductor
Recorded in 1996
No soloists listed
Note: Another "small forces" recording. A good performance on the Naxos budget label.

The Cambridge Singers
John Rutter, conductor
Recorded in 2007
Joanne Lunn - soprano, Melanie Marshall - mezzo-soprano, James Gilchrist - tenor, Christopher Purves - baritone
Note: I have the impression that this recording is not well known. I could be wrong about that. This one employs medium-sized forces and is very well-done.

The first (almost complete) recording was made in 1928. As of 1991 (nearly a quarter of a century ago), "Messiah" had been recorded no less than 76 times.

Richard, when you get the opportunity you should add this one to your collection; you might find that you have less and less time to listen to any of the others....

Gabrielli Consort
Gabrielli Players
Paul McCreesh, conductor
Recorded in 1997
Dorothea Roschmann; Susan Gritton; Bernarda Fink; Charles Daniels; Neal Davies
Note: The major downside is the despicable way that "incorruptible" is pronounced.

I'm also particularly fond of the Academy of Ancient Music's 1991 recording featuring Emma Kirkby. Lately, though, I have found Delphine Galou's performance of "But who may abide" irresistibly compelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPyCXo_LgGs

So, which of the ones that you have is the best?

Personally, I like Sir Adrian Boult's (1961) and Trevor Pinnock's (1988) the best. Pinnock's recording is usually singled out for special praise. To one degree or another, I like them all, of course (what saves the Beecham, for me, is hearing Jon Vickers early in his career).

By the way, the recordings by Pinnock and Sir Charles Mackerras were both recorded in January, 1988 - Pinnock at Abbey Road, Mackerras at Henry Wood Hall (both in London). Imagine - two major recordings of "Messiah" being recorded at the same time in the same city!

I'll check out the McCreesh, Ruben. I've heard good things about it.

And thanks for the video of Delphine Galou. Excellent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back