Haggai 2:6-9

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPcalvinist

Puritan Board Freshman
So, I am preaching through Haggai and I am at Haggai 2:6-9. I've been studying these verses for a couple of weeks now. I cannot get past these verses pointing to Christ.

Haggai and New Testament passage comparisons:
  1. The "shaking of the heavens and earth" and "Immanuel, God with us" in the presence of Christ.
  2. The "latter glory of this house shall be greater than the formal." Jesus is the greater temple. (Matthew 12:6)
  3. The "treasures of all the nations coming into the temple" and the "strong man being bound and his goods being plundered" (Matthew 12:25-32) We've been plundered from the "domain of darkness" (Colossians 1:13) and united to Christ by faith.
  4. The "treasures of all the nations" are the elect of God from "every tribe, tongue and nation." (Revelation 7:9)
  5. "And in this place I will give peace." Since Jesus is the fulfillment of the temple and since peace can only be found in Him it seems to point to Jesus.
I cannot help but see this passage in this manner and I think seeing it in a future physical fulfillment is what blinded the Jews of Jesus' day from recognizing Him.

Any thoughts?

Everything the prophets had to say is connected to the Great Hope, i.e. the coming Messiah. While there are certain aspects of the promises that remain to see ultimate fulfillment in the Second Coming, most expectations were fulfilled in the Person of Christ, in his incarnation, his saving work, and the successful establishment of his kingdom in the 1C, A.D. The dispensational view that the kingdom was not/is yet to be actually established pushes far more of the OT into the category of "unfulfilled" than should be, even in places where the NT explicitly states the fulfillment came about in Christ and for his current reign.

I fully support the direction you seem to be taking with the text. Perhaps that's some encouragement to keep going... Blessings on your preaching.

Everything the prophets had to say is connected to the Great Hope, i.e. the coming Messiah. While there are certain aspects of the promises that remain to see ultimate fulfillment in the Second Coming, most expectations were fulfilled in the Person of Christ, in his incarnation, his saving work, and the successful establishment of his kingdom in the 1C, A.D. The dispensational view that the kingdom was not/is yet to be actually established pushes far more of the OT into the category of "unfulfilled" than should be, even in places where the NT explicitly states the fulfillment came about in Christ and for his current reign.

I fully support the direction you seem to be taking with the text. Perhaps that's some encouragement to keep going... Blessings on your preaching.
Thank you for the response and encouragement. I am preaching on it this Sunday, and wanted some confirmation. Again, thank you.

Also, am I correct in understanding that the Jewish expectation of Jesus' day was that they had their glorious temple (Herod's) and that all they needed was the Messiah to come and overthrow Rome and peace would be had with ethnic Israel ruling over all other nations? (all physical fulfillments)

And, that the rule of ethnic Israel was by power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back