Guitar Buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenderPriest

Puritan Board Junior
Ok guys, I need a little help. I've played the guitar and I'm coming up on needing to buy a new acoustic guitar. The acoustic I have is a little old and doesn't do well for playing in small group settings and can't be amplified (I've tried every possible way apart from a basic mic.). I've played Martin's and Taylors before, and liked them a lot. The problem with cashing in on one of those guys (especially a Taylor) is that I don't have the cash! I'm looking to get a good acoustic that amplifies (is a cutaway if possible) running at $500 or less. I haven't been in the guitar market for several years, so all the knowledge I'd built up is completely gone. I need some help! Thanks!

I bought my guitar in that range. I bought an Ovation. I believe they are all amplified, but I wouldn't get the base model. You should be able to do just fine with $500.

Find a local used guitar store, the kind that is run for the love of the music and instruments, not profits. Talk the proprietor and tell him your situation. Then, play some guitars until you fall in love.

That being said, you should definitely go for a low-end Martin. I believe you can pick up a used Martin with a solid top in your price range. I love the warm, woody sound of a Martin. Oh, and amplify it yourself instead of getting one of those built-in rigs.

Check out Larrivee. They are excellent guitars. Their entry level guitars rival the top end Taylors. Their upper level guitars are amazing. I have a D-9. I have been offered all sorts of guitars in trades for it. It won't happen. I used to have a 1952 Martin D-28. The Larrivee is a better guitar.

That being said, you should definitely go for a low-end Martin. I believe you can pick up a used Martin with a solid top in your price range. I love the warm, woody sound of a Martin. Oh, and amplify it yourself instead of getting one of those built-in rigs.
:agree: You can't go wrong with a Martin. Their "low end" guitars will blow away most "high end" guitars from other brands. I own a black 000CXE and let me tell ya she is a thing of beauty to play.

In the $500 range you might want to check out a DX1 Dreadnought, DXK2 Koa, or 000X1 Acoustic. I'd be shocked if you were disappointed.

As for amplification, check out KandK Western stuff. It is not a pick up. It is a mike that is removable, but only when you want to remove it. And, they are not expensive. The sound from them is stunning.

Check out Larrivee. They are excellent guitars. Their entry level guitars rival the top end Taylors. Their upper level guitars are amazing. I have a D-9. I have been offered all sorts of guitars in trades for it. It won't happen. I used to have a 1952 Martin D-28. The Larrivee is a better guitar.

They're definitely not < $500. :lol:

:agree: You can't go wrong with a Martin. Their "low end" guitars will blow away most "high end" guitars from other brands. I own a black 000CXE and let me tell ya she is a thing of beauty to play.

In the $500 range you might want to check out a DX1 Dreadnought, DXK2 Koa, or 000X1 Acoustic. I'd be shocked if you were disappointed.

So would this (link) be a good buy - even without the case?

They're definitely not < $500. :lol:

Not normally. But, if you look around you can occasionally find used Ls and Ds for under $500. Especially in second hand stores. Often they have no idea what they have and sell them cheap.

I like my BreedLove Acousitic Electric (w/cut away). I got it for not too much more than 500 at Guitar Center.

Takamine cutaways w/ solid spruce tops great guitars for under 500. They don't look half bad either. They are Durable and hold a tune (from several over night stays in the trunk of my car during winter.) They sound great plugged in (to an acoustic amp)

BEHOLD MY BROTHER...

440328.jpg

guitar-bass-western-guitars-acoustic-guitar-takamine-g-serie-eg-440-sc.jpg

Takamine G Series EG340SC Cutaway Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar
The Takamine acoustic-electric EG340SC dreadnought guitar has the traditional look and big sound that flatpickers and singers prize. Featuring a...
Price: $449.00 Item Ships Free!
MSRP: $629.00
Rating: Overall: 8.91
Buy Takamine G Series EG340SC Cutaway Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar | 6 String Acoustic-Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

-----Added 3/5/2009 at 01:42:34 EST-----

I would also recommend ovation guitars.

They sound just as good plugged in as any $2000+ guitar.

The only problem is some of them are ugly and cheap in some ways.
They are like... half Wal-mart and half Taylor when it comes to their sound characteristics and looks.

:D I just cant get past the Wal-mart half or i would by one.

I bought my guitar in that range. I bought an Ovation. I believe they are all amplified, but I wouldn't get the base model. You should be able to do just fine with $500.

:ditto: My Ovation (and Ovation has some absolutely beautiful guitars... Ovations play well, have a narrow neck and are oh so wonderful to the eyes) was used when I bought it. If you buy a used guitar in a reputable music store they will only carry nice (like new) used guitars without a scratch on them.

Be sure to ask if a guitar is used or not. If it is they will usually be willing to go down a little on the price.

For $500.00 (plus tax) I got a beautiful Ovation with factory pick-ups (I love the fact that you can't see them at all and can barely see the controls) with a hard case.

I'v'e played Fenders and Martins (and Taylors wich I think are highly over-rated *Just my opinion) and I've sold all my electric guitars and an amp as big as a bus (not quite :lol:) but I would starve before I let go of my Ovation.

*BTW The best sounding acousitic I've ever touched was a Peavy. I don't think Peavy makes an acousitic anymore but one thing I remember about it was that (like so many other brands) it was over-priced. It was also nothing to look at. Plainest thing I've ever seen.

Hey Guys,

The search is over. Free always triumphs over buying. A friend works at a school, and they were throwing instruments away. In the stock was a decent guitar that'll do what I need it to, with decent tuners, and sounds alright. The suggestions, however, are great and helpful and will be filed away for when I do come up on buying a guitar in the future.

Thanks guys!

Hey Guys,

The search is over. Free always triumphs over buying. A friend works at a school, and they were throwing instruments away. In the stock was a decent guitar that'll do what I need it to, with decent tuners, and sounds alright. The suggestions, however, are great and helpful and will be filed away for when I do come up on buying a guitar in the future.

Thanks guys!

Free?!?! Amen brother! My favorite kind! :lol:

For those of you shopping: remember that many of the less expensive guitars, even from well known makers are expoxied rather than glued in their construction. This makes repairs and neck resets (neck resets are almost a given on any guitar that is played much) nearly impossible. In essence they are 'disposable' unless you like a guitar that has a high actions and is hard to keep proper tune up the neck. I believe that Martin is the only big boy that still glues its lower ended guitars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back