Guilty Pleasures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripel

Puritan Board Senior
I was thinking recently about the things I enjoy, but am a bit ashamed to admit. Some of them are:

Michelob Ultra Lime Cactus - it's like beer mixed with Sprite
ABBA - the Swedish pop group, not the Father
Camel Lights
Will & Grace reruns
Entertainment Weekly
Macaroni and Cheese - always the generic kind, not Kraft

I'm sure there are more. What are yours?

(Some ground rules: you are free to question why somebody feels guilty about their pleasure, but please don't use this thread for rebuking or condemning someone about the thing they enjoy--obviously they feel "guilty" about it.)

EDIT
Thanks to Jessi, we have a good definition about what a guilty pleasure is:

Guilty Pleasures: a phrase used in western society to denote things (e. g. pop music, novels, films, television shows, books, food) that one really likes but often finds too embarrassing to admit to.

Last edited:
"Aqua Teen Hunger Force was once a guilty pleasure." I grew out of that!

It's scary I remember this:

"Name is Shake Zula
The Mic Rula
The Old Schoola
You wanna trip? I bring it to ya..."

[video=youtube;E42QFSMMNOI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E42QFSMMNOI[/video]

Last edited:
Well I wasn't going to tell but since you said ABBA and Will and Grace I feel
I don't have anything to be ashamed of in secretly liking certain kinds of music.

Like Mariachi music and old time Dean Martin/Rat Pack music.
I guess I'm fairly weird.
Oh I have lots of guilty pleasures.
I like frozen grapes and frozen mint girl scout cookies.
I like to shoot piles of manure with a handgun.
I am so hooked on cooking shows I need intervention.
I think perhaps I have said too much.
the rest will remain secret for a while.

Well I wasn't going to tell but since you said ABBA and Will and Grace I feel
I don't have anything to be ashamed of in secretly liking certain kinds of music.

Like Mariachi music and old time Dean Martin/Rat Pack music.
I guess I'm fairly weird.
Oh I have lots of guilty pleasures.
I like frozen grapes and frozen mint girl scout cookies.
I like to shoot piles of manure with a handgun.
I am so hooked on cooking shows I need intervention.
I think perhaps I have said too much.
the rest will remain secret for a while.

:lol::lol::lol:

I spend way too much time watching Forensic Files and other Crime Shows. I like ABBA too :lol: I liked (when it first came out) the song from Aqua "Come on Barbie let's go Party" :lol: I have purchased a scratch off or two at the grocery store for fun and won on a couple of occasions. For about 9 months while on a Diet I couldn't go a day without ending it with ice cream. That's enough of my Confessions for now.

Michelob Ultra Lime Cactus - it's like beer mixed with Sprite

:eek:After all those posts about quality beers @ the Pub, the truth comes out!:lol:

Sorry I broke the ground rules... my turn to 'fess up.

A Leinenkugel Berry Weiss on a hot summer day (total "chick" beer)
Natalie Merchant's "Tiger Lilly"
Backwoods Honey Berry cigars
Pickled pork hocks, head cheese, blood & tongue sausage
Get excited about going fishing in lousy weather
Polka music:eek:

I better quit before people think I am REALLY weird (more so than I actually am).:duh:

• Canned mandarin oranges
  • Jason Mraz
  • Romantic comedies
  • Miranda Lambert
  • Project Runway
  • America's Next Top Model
  • Vending machines
  • Above the Law: A Legal Tabloid

Last edited:
Monty Python
Those candy hearts that come out around Valentines Day
Writing silly parodies of various hymns
Spiced Rum
Monty Python

Theognome

All right -- I'll fess up:

-Candy Hearts (Feb. 14, 15 I always go to the store once they've been marked way down and buy a few bags...)
-Hogan's Heroes (Cheesy, but I can't help enjoying it)
-Salsa (I eat lots of salsa)
-Swing Dancing (Although no one will ever hear me admit this again, I actually kind of enjoy this)
-Kraft singles.
-Certain Disney movies. (Wow, that one is embarrassing) Notably, the Jungle Book.
-Finally, I'd probably take Taco Bell over a nice Mexican restaurant any day (Does that make me a horrible person?)

Edit
Bill -- you like the Candy Hearts, too?! I'm glad I'm not alone.

- So You Think You Can Dance - not only do I watch it, but it's one of
my favorite shows.
- Popeye's chicken fingers
- hip-hop/dance music in the OR while I'm operating
- pop music ringtones for my cell phone

*Forensic Crime shows...like CSI, Bones, The Mentalist, Eleventh Hour
*Facebook...SEVERAL people have told me that I'm addicted! I'm beginning to think that I might be... :think: LOL!
*and now possibly PB! :D

I was tempted to mention "Firefly" but I am in no way ashamed. In fact one should be ashamed NOT to watch it. Moreover it is free on hulu.com .

Fabric, I hoard it when I can, you just never know when you'll need to make something.

Fabric, I hoard it when I can, you just never know when you'll need to make something.

Fabric is awesome!

I love fabric too and am also guilty of finding it and buying it at thrift stores when I go. Like many on this board, I too enjoy watching the people sing on the American Idol show:eek:, while I am eating popcorn with lots of extra butter and a Mr. Goodbar candybar to go with it. Yum, Yum, soooooooooooooooo healthy!:drool:

Hmmm.

*Romeo y Julieta 1875 Sumatras
*Homemade truffles that I meant to make for someone else. Oops. :drool:
*anything at Starbucks
*Djarum Blacks
*the Comedy Central channel
*Shoe shopping
*Stupid pop music (i.e. NSYNC, Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, Beyonce etc.)

:wow:

I don't do anything about which I feel either guilty or embarrassed. If something causes me to feel either guilt or embarrassment/shame, I take that as a sign that I probably shouldn't do it.

I don't do anything about which I feel either guilty or embarrassed. If something causes me to feel either guilt or embarrassment/shame, I take that as a sign that I probably shouldn't do it.

Perhaps "guilty pleasures" is not the best name for it. But I would say that everything I listed is a silly pleasure.

Well if we talk addictions:
PB
CSI (I have all seasons of Las Vegas, Miami and New York)
Bying theological books I do not have time to read (like buying indulgenses)
Ice Cream
Some danish candy you do not have.
Pistatio nuts (can not walk past that, without buying some)
MP3 Lectures and sermons

Annoying habbits:
Facebook
I bite my beard

There must be more but can not think of anymore right now :oops:

Well if we talk addictions:
PB
CSI (I have all seasons of Las Vegas, Miami and New York)
Bying theological books I do not have time to read (like buying indulgenses)
Ice Cream
Some danish candy you do not have.
Pistatio nuts (can not walk past that, without buying some)
MP3 Lectures and sermons

Annoying habbits:
Facebook
I bite my beard

There must be more but can not think of anymore right now :oops:

yummy...pistachio nuts...

That's funny, I bite my beard too!

I wouldn't say guilty pleasure.

However, my silly habits/pleasures:

Occasionally eating frozen chocolate chip cookie dough with milk (better than ice cream).
Hording fabric, yard, needles, and do you know how many (broken) sewing machines I own?! (I do plan on getting them fixed, but that costs money)
Collecting books.
FaceBook
I'm very competitive when it comes to games (to the point that hubby won't play any with me unless we are in a group)
Our timer on the tv is set to automatically change to Jay Leno...it comes on right after my husband gets home from work.

- So You Think You Can Dance - not only do I watch it, but it's one of
my favorite shows.
- Popeye's chicken fingers
- hip-hop/dance music in the OR while I'm operating
- pop music ringtones for my cell phone

So You Think You Can Dance was the first thing that came to my mind. My wife and I love it.

You sure know how to take the fun out of a thread....

It kind of bothers me that I grew up to love the music my mom loves: Neil Young and friends. Other than that, I have absolutely no reason to be ashamed of my music tastes, for I know I have great taste. Even Neil Young is nothing to be ashamed of, but that it's my mom's music!!
I prefer to shop for things to sell on ebay rather than to liquidate our own books.
I like the smell of skunks.
My favorite genre of literature to read is YA (young adult) and when it's my turn to choose the book for book club, that's usually what I pick! (Though my true favorite books are not YA.)
I LOVE stupid chick flicks.
I LOVE Bill Murray.
I like women's conferences and love to go to my church's semi-weekly women's fellowship. I like hearing advice from older women, even when they are talking to us about sex! (See the Beth Moore thread to see why this is something to be ashamed of!)
The only theological books I read from cover-to-cover are about raising kids!
I would eat Doritos for dinner everynight if my husband would allow me to. I would also weigh 700 pounds, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back