Guilty pleasures and Christian liberty

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Humor' started by ReformedWretch, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Being a child of the 80's, I have to confess to once owning many of their tapes myself.

[Edited on 4-7-2006 by Pilgrim]

2. BobVigneault

BobVigneault Bawberator

Wow Gabe, A7X, I never would have guessed! I've tried to like Coheed and Cambria but they sound like they are imitating Rush to the point where it irritates me. I don't think I could handle a live concert. I have a friend who is going to see them at the Aragon in Chicago. I don't like crowds that big.

A7X gets my blood moving. I'm glad Matt Shadows stopped screaming so much. For those who haven't heard them, Avenged Sevenfold are a cross between Iron Maiden and Megadeth with a little Guns and Roses thrown in. Amazing musicians for young guys.

3. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

"Hello, my name is Johnny Cash."

HUGE FAN...since 1967.

Ah, yes, and I've already watch the movie, "Walk the Line" about 20 times.

I sometimes wear black.

My name is not Sue.

4. BobVigneault

BobVigneault Bawberator

But do you hate every inch of San Quentin? Have you ever shot a man in Reno just to watch him die?

5. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

:sing: "Far from FOLSOM prison, that's where I want to be!" :sing:

Yeah, Johnny sang at San Quentin too and other prisons too.

....I deny EVER being in Reno...Vegas, yes, but NEVER Reno. '

But "I'm goin' to Jackson, turn a loose of my coat!"

[This could go on for a long time!]

6. VictorBravo

VictorBravo Administrator Staff Member

Boy, I'm a fuddy. My main guilty pleasure is the Puritanboard.

But I once was knew all the Jimmy Buffett songs and even performed them for drinks and food in Key West--years and years ago.

There was also Jerry Jeff and the Lost Gonzo Band. I'm a rodee rodee rodeeo cowboy, borderin on insane. Hay go.

7. matt01

matt01 Puritan Board Senior

Dan Brown's theology...

8. BronxBriar

BronxBriar Inactive User

Black Sabbath....but only the first 6 albums.

9. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritanboard Amanuensis

:lol: When Greg Bahnsen was fired from RTS he went immediately to his apartment, put the stereo speakers in the window, and played "Paranoid!"

10. BobVigneault

BobVigneault Bawberator

Hey, Ozzie's words represent the cry of the newbie on the Puritan Board:

Can you help me occupy my brain?
    Oh yeah

I need someone to show me the things in life that I can't find,
    I can't see the things that make true happiness, I must be blind :cool:

11. caddy

caddy Puritan Board Senior

On Dave Mustaine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Mustaine

12. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

Wow! For some reason I find that to be very cool. :cool:

Greg Bahnsen seems to be highly respected on this board, as I recall. Why would he have been fired from RTS? Is there a thread on that?

13. CDM

CDM Puritan Board Junior

I can see how that rumor spread. Check this out: http://www.megadeth.com/index.php?section=biography#

Look at his favorite books: The Art of War-Sun Tzu, Wild At Heart - John Eldridge, Pilgrim's Progress - John Bunyan :eek:

:ditto: I have the Xbox 360 now! :eek: :banana:

This may be for another thread but how many believe playing video games is not good for a believer? I believe it it depends on which video games one plays.

Many who know me know I am a Christian first, Video-gamer second, Husband third, and Father fourth. ;)

14. CDM

CDM Puritan Board Junior

What was that about? He was fired from RTS? Why? :candle:

15. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

Oh, I don't know...I can see it's...."charm". :D

Wouldn't it be funny if we found out Charles Stanley read this blog? :lol:

[Edited on 4-13-2006 by joshua]

16. Pilgrim

The first two with Dio are pretty good too.

17. Pilgrim

Finished with my woman cause she couldn't help me with my mind

18. Pilgrim

:lol:

19. BayouHuguenot

Fortunately, no, there is not a thread on that. I am hesitant to speak on it because I go to said school. But a few words are in order:
    They hired him because they heard great things about his master's thesis. They fired him after he published it. No, that is not exactly the case:
    Many were concerned about what theonomy was (fair enough). However, many on the panel discussion admitted to not having read the book in question (thus making an accurate analysis questionable). Unfortunately, Bahnsen was smart. And knew it. And made sure they knew it. Combine someone who is arguably the best "young" theologian with phenomenal rhetorical abilities, and you get trouble. Both sides failed to handle the situation like gentlemen.

Bahnsen's contract was not renewed. But God meant it for good. Without the 1978 debacle, there would be no Stein debate. Without it presuppositionalism might not have taken the world by storm.

20. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

Thanks, Jacob. I haven't read any of his works, but I need to. Where should I start?

[Edited on 4-12-2006 by Ivan]

21. BayouHuguenot

Always Ready and By This Standard

22. WrittenFromUtopia

WrittenFromUtopia Puritan Board Graduate

Make sure you read A Survey of Christian Epistemology by Van Til at some point, as well.

23. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

Not to be a snoot, but...why?

When I was in seminary at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, my professor, L. Russ Bush, was a fan of Van Til, so I heard quite a bit about him back then and I'm sure I read a book or two of this then too, but I have no recollect of it now. Ravages of time and an old brain!! lol

Ergo, time for Van Til....

Others agree that this would be the Van Til book to read?

24. tdowns

tdowns Puritan Board Junior

Survivor

American Idol
    Violent games on X-Box with rationalizations; like Gun(historical), Halo(Sci-Fi research for my writing), and Squad based Military Games(strategy building).

Although I only play about an hour of X-box a month with my busy schedule, (occasionally I'll get a nice hour a night run in though, usually only lasts a week).

25. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

Oops, almost missed your post, Jacob. Thanks, I'll look into it soon. Maybe ANT will have an auction with these books soon!! lol

26. Me Died Blue

Me Died Blue Puritan Board Post-Graduate

With regard to Bahnsen and RTS, I have also heard that a lot of it did not have to do so much with what he was presenting as with how he did so - more on that was explained here.

And while we're on Bahnsen a bit, to tie back in with the subject of this thread, I know there are many on the board who would consider the theonomic viewpoint of myself and others a guilty pleasure in and of itself. ;)

27. BayouHuguenot

I have another guilty pleasure: I read Gary North. Even worse, I enjoy it. Here is why:
    1) He has triumphed in a field where most people fail miserably: writing. He is funny, sharp as a nail (even if he is wrong; most people who don't like North because of Y2K...well, not going there).
    2) I have listened to him lecture. I have heard him set up cross-examinations in debate format that would make Bahnsen pale in comparison.
    3) He is funny.
    4) His books are free.
    5) He has lived the logical outcome of a Christian worldview. Believing the Bible to speak authoritatively about everything, he has written on close to everything.
    6) He is an enemy of statism, the god of Civil Religion.

28. Pilgrim

Pilgrim's Progress is certainly an encouraging sign. As is that he listed his favorite song on TSHF as being "Truth Be Told", the most overtly spiritual song on there (deals with Cain and Abel, and sin generally), except for the instrumental where Psalm 23 is recited.

29. Presbyrino

Presbyrino Puritan Board Freshman

:ditto:

My list would be as follows:
    TV
    Simpsons
    South Park
    Colbert Report
    Daily Show
    The Shield

Music
    Disco