Guest - An important message about Puritan Board Member and Moderator Rules of Behavior has been posted here.

Grudem's Definition of Miracles

Discussion in 'Theological Forum' started by KMK, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KMK

KMK Moderator Staff Member

Wayne Grudem's definition of miracles:

Notice his definition does not mention anything about the use of 'means'.

Grudem continues,

It seems to me that Grudem is redefining "means". Jesus did not use the bread and fish to make more bread and fish. Jesus did not use the water to change the water into wine. His objection to the more traditional definition of miracles seems confused.

Am I missing something?

2. Peairtach

Peairtach Puritan Board Doctor

Well Grudem is a Pentecostal. His view of prophecy - which is a type of miracle - that true prophecy can contain error is even more troubling.

See O. Palmer Robertson's "The Final Word" (BoT) on Grudem's view of prophecy.

He may be influenced in his interpretation of Scripture on these matters by his experience of counterfeit "miracles" and counterfeit "prophecy" in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches.

In many other ways Grudem's Systematic Theology is a good book.

3. KMK

Actually, I think he is a Third Waver.

4. KMK

John Brown of Haddington on miracles:

It appears that John Brown would agree with Grudem in his definition of miracles.

5. Peairtach

Peairtach Puritan Board Doctor

A miracle does involve God working in a way different to His normal working by "natural", "scientific" law. There is a particular purpose or lesson behind the miracle which goes beyond what is achieved through the miracle. E.g. Jesus didn't turn the water into wine only in order to provide wine for the guests but to teach about Himself as the Creator and about His Kingdom.

6. Scott1

Scott1 Puritan Board Doctor

The Westminster context and definition of miracles is quite helpful.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.