Groups today who refuse to take oaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poimen

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Heidelberg Catechism, Q&A 101 speaks to the Anabaptists of the day who would not take oaths in light of Matthew 5:33-37.

101. Q. But may we swear an oath by the Name of God in a godly manner?
A. Yes, when the government demands it of its subjects, or when necessity requires it, in order to maintain and promote fidelity and truth, to God's glory and for our neighbour's good. Such oath-taking is based on God's Word and was therefore rightly used by saints in the Old and the New Testament.

Is there any religious (cult or otherwise) group who continues this practice today? Please no commentary: I just need names. Thank you.

I think the following are against it: Jehovah's Witnesses, Brethren groups, maybe Mennonites?

Thank you for the suggestions but does anyone know here 'for a fact' that these groups, as mentioned, hold to the anabaptist position on this matter?

JWs for sure.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

I was also right about Mennonites. See the Mennonite Confession of Faith, Article 20:

Mennonite Confession of Faith; Article 20

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Hey, 3 for 3! Brethren groups have also historically been wary of oaths. Note, though, that Brethren and Mennonites are basically modern Anabaptists, so I'm not sure they qualify as groups besides Anabaptists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back