Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Fentiman

Puritan Board Sophomore
We are to only worship God, and yet Jesus, a man, was worshipped in his earthly ministry. How is this so? The answer is that we worship Jesus, the God-man Mediator, not insofar as He is a creature, but insofar as his Person is God.

This precious jewel of theology is argued by the reformed theologians (Owen, Gillespie, Turretin, Cheynell, etc.) linked on the webpage below in a bit of detail that will be clear to the simplest, and make the most knowledgeable cry out: “Oh! the depths and the riches! (Rom. 11:33)

The Grounds of Christ the Mediator Receiving Divine Worship​

This answer, and its attendant distinctions and details, have distinguished reformed theology from the theological views of Romanism, Socinianism, Lutheranism and even some 'Reformed Presbyterians'. Hope the resources are helpful, instructive and a blessing.

I don't find this proposition supported.

Edward, you don't think Jesus was a man, and/or you don't think Jesus was worshipped in his earthly ministry? If you honestly aren't aware of the numerous Bible verses which speak of Jesus being religiously worshipped in the Gospels, there are plenty on the webpage.

I'm not here to play games. I was trying to put this in laymen's terms for normal folk. If you would rather theologically qualify this to the dissertation level, feel free.

Last edited:
I just ask for proof that Scripture establishes that Jesus was worshiped as a man. That would certainly be contrary to the Confession to which I subscribe.

And I might have missed something, but in skimming through your link, I didn't spot support for that proposition, either.

I just ask for proof that Scripture establishes that Jesus was worshiped as a man.

Edward, I never said that Jesus was worshipped as a man. I said that Jesus was a man, and that He was worshipped in his earthly ministry.

My original post, the Introduction on the webpage I wrote, and every resource on the webpage argues that He was not worshipped as a man, but that his person is worshipped as He is divine.

May the Lord's rich blessings be with you.

In the providence of God I had stopped in my reading last week to consider the text in John 9:38.
“If this MAN were not of God, he could do nothing.——-Jesus heard that that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him,Dost thou believe on the Son of God? He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him? And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him and it is he that talketh with thee.
And he said, LORD, I believe.And he WORSHIPPED HIM.”
He worshipped him as the Son of God, though he was looking at a man and hearing the speech of a man.
Great is the mystery of godliness, God was manifest in the flesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back