Greetings to all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herald

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone. I am new to the board. My journey to the reformed view of soteriology began nearly ten years ago. I am happy to be here and look forward to interacting with many of you as the Lord allows.

[Edited on 9-5-2005 by BaptistInCrisis]
 

Herald

Administrator
Staff member
Spell checker

Thanks. I am a product of the New Jersey school system. Obviously I need all the help I can get.

;)
 

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
Welcome aboard. Glad you could join us.

Originally posted by LawrenceU
Welcome aboard. (Better watch out Presbyterians. We're gaining . . . :D )
His username is BaptistInCrisis. You don't suppose the crisis he's experiencing is that he's changing into a Pres...nah, never mind.
 

turmeric

Megerator
Originally posted by blhowes
Welcome aboard. Glad you could join us.

Originally posted by LawrenceU
Welcome aboard. (Better watch out Presbyterians. We're gaining . . . :D )
His username is BaptistInCrisis. You don't suppose the crisis he's experiencing is that he's changing into a Pres...nah, never mind.
You mean the 2nd Work of Grace?:banana::banana:
 

Herald

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by turmeric
Originally posted by blhowes
Welcome aboard. Glad you could join us.

Originally posted by LawrenceU
Welcome aboard. (Better watch out Presbyterians. We're gaining . . . :D )
His username is BaptistInCrisis. You don't suppose the crisis he's experiencing is that he's changing into a Pres...nah, never mind.
You mean the 2nd Work of Grace?:banana::banana:
Yes...I am a Baptist in Crisis. Of that there is no doubt. But my crisis is with post Darbyian Baptist teaching. I still have loads of questions (and skepticism) towards the finer points of C.T. Yet I have to ask myself, how has my view of Israel and the church been influenced by my dispensational roots? When I read Gertsner and Edwards referring to Israel as the "old testament church" I still feel awkward. Why is that? To be honest, I don't know. That is where the "crisis" moniker comes into play. Theologically I feel like an airliner in a hold patten.
 

Herald

Administrator
Staff member
By the way...thanks to all for the :welcome: I have only been here one day, but I appreciate the good natured jabbing and humor. Seems like a good mix or brothers and sisters in here.
 

turmeric

Megerator
Going through the same sort of thing as you, brother, I was joking about how becoming Reformed seems to some like a second conversion. I was raised Dispensationalist & Pentecostal. The problem for me is that I keep thinking of "the Church" as a separate entity from "Israel", so that makes it look like the Reformed are replacing Israel with gentiles, but I'm coming to think it's probably more correct to see the gentiles as being grafted into Israel (per Romans 11) and supported by the root(Israel), so that "the Old Testamet church" is just becoming another name for Israel, to which we now belong by adoption. Church = Israel, both in Old & New Testaments. It takes a little getting used to!
 

PuritanCovenanter

Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the board. I am a Baptist that believes in Covenant Theology without the flavor of paedo baptism. Never been a Dispensational. In fact Dispyianism didn't affect the church till only a few hundred years ago. I am Presbyterian in church polity though. You will be able to discover many things here. Even develope some good friendships.

Again Welcome aboard.
 

LawrenceU

Puritan Board Doctor
His username is BaptistInCrisis. You don't suppose the crisis he's experiencing is that he's changing into a Pres...nah, never mind.

MH GENOITO





( I wish I could remember that Greek code insert command. )

[Edited on 8-27-2005 by LawrenceU]
 

Herald

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by turmeric
Going through the same sort of thing as you, brother, I was joking about how becoming Reformed seems to some like a second conversion. I was raised Dispensationalist & Pentecostal. The problem for me is that I keep thinking of "the Church" as a separate entity from "Israel", so that makes it look like the Reformed are replacing Israel with gentiles, but I'm coming to think it's probably more correct to see the gentiles as being grafted into Israel (per Romans 11) and supported by the root(Israel), so that "the Old Testamet church" is just becoming another name for Israel, to which we now belong by adoption. Church = Israel, both in Old & New Testaments. It takes a little getting used to!
I don't know if those who have been raised Reformed (whether it be PCA, CRC or whatever) can fully appreciate the transformation that occurs in the life of someone who embraces Calvinism after being indoctrinated Arminian school of thought for so long. In the sense it is a "second conversion", as you put it. The impact on my theology has been overwhelming. I am thankful that my pastor embraced Calvinism a few years back. If not, I probably would have had to leave my church. As it is, the current group of elders (of which my pastor is one) are laboring to teach sound doctrine and biblical view of God's sovereignty in all areas. This has cost us a few members, and at least one elder, but I believe it glorifies God by honoring the scriptures.
 

Herald

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by puritancovenanter
Welcome to the board. I am a Baptist that believes in Covenant Theology without the flavor of paedo baptism. Never been a Dispensational. In fact Dispyianism didn't affect the church till only a few hundred years ago. I am Presbyterian in church polity though. You will be able to discover many things here. Even develope some good friendships.

Again Welcome aboard. [/quote

Was that a confederate kepie you had on? One of my side-hobbies is Civil War history. Living in Maryland I am close to Antietam, Gettysburg, Bull Run , Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top