Greetings from Zebulon, Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frog Morton

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all,

I'm Blake from Zebulon, GA. I've come to have Reformed convictions in the past several years, but only recently decided to leave the nondenominational church of which I am a member and look for a solid Presbyterian congregation. Unhappily, the closest confessional congregations are over an hour away. I've gathered a group of about 12 people who are interested in the OPC.

Question to the house is this: does anyone have contacts in the Griffin/Thomaston/Barnesville, GA area that would like to join an effort to establish a confession Reformed church in middle Georgia?

hammondjones

Puritan Board Sophomore
Welcome!
Can't help you with any contacts, though my great-grandfather was from Milner, so I probably do have some cousins there around there. All baptists, though.

reaganmarsh

Puritan Board Senior
Welcome to the PB from north GA! All the best in your efforts. I mostly know folks in south GA and north GA, but not really in the middle...but if I think of anyone, I'll let you know!

Jake

Puritan Board Junior
Greetings! I grew up near McDonough.

There is a PCA church plant in Griffin, though I don't know how Reformed it is. There are also some options a little further out if you're willing to drive (e.g., Juliette RPCUS, Moreland ARP, Peachtree City PCA).

TylerRay

Puritan Board Graduate
Greetings from up a little ways up North. Unfortunately, I don't think I know anyone in your parts.

jwithnell

Staff member
You might want to contact the senior pastor at Trinity Presbyterian (PCA) in Statesboro, GA. He was ordained in the Central GA Presbytery before Savannah River Presbytery formed. He is a solidly reformed guy with a heart for church planting. He has family all over central Georgia. The OPC has churches in north Georgia and Columbus, I think, but I don't currently know anyone there. The ARP in Moreland is very good, though currently seeking a pastor. I wasn't so sure about the Peachtree City group, knowing some of the original officers were extremely dispensational and generic evangelicals.

Jake

Puritan Board Junior
You might want to contact the senior pastor at Trinity Presbyterian (PCA) in Statesboro, GA. He was ordained in the Central GA Presbytery before Savannah River Presbytery formed. He is a solidly reformed guy with a heart for church planting. He has family all over central Georgia. The OPC has churches in north Georgia and Columbus, I think, but I don't currently know anyone there. The ARP in Moreland is very good, though currently seeking a pastor. I wasn't so sure about the Peachtree City group, knowing some of the original officers were extremely dispensational and generic evangelicals.
The ARP has an associate pastor, so I wouldn't be too worried as their senior pastor retires. They're also probably only about ~30 minutes away, depending on where in Zebulon.

It looks like I missed a PCA in Forsyth as well, though their website isn't promising.

The OPC has churches in LaGrange (about 45 minutes north of Columbus) and the rest on the northside of Atlanta.

Edward

Puritanboard Commissioner
I drafted a response last night, but it went away before I hit post - for some reason the browser did a complete refresh on all the tabs.

First, Greetings from a refugee from Georgia (both north and south, but only one summer in middle).

Second, if your concern about the PCA is Metro Atlanta Presbytery, I'd point out if you situate your plant a few miles to the east, you would be in Lamar County, which is in Central Georgia Presbytery. Or, since it is unserved and on the border, perhaps you could get Central Georgia to trade for Pike County.

I do recall that Metro Atlanta used to have a church in Northwest Georgia Presbytery (hyper contemporary worship style, as I recall). I'm not sure what the arrangements were between the two Presbyteries.

Frog Morton

Puritan Board Freshman
Thank you all for the welcome and advice.

I've been to the PCA in Griffin several times, and it is more broadly evangelical than Reformed.

I've also made the trek over to Lagrange to Covenant OPC; I try to go over there once a month. They are great over there. I don't think I've ever visited a church, Reformed or otherwise, where both the pastor and congregants received a guest so warmly. Visiting there and talking to some of the officers has really strengthened my desire to see the OPC come to Pike County.

I'll look into the Moreland ARP. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.