Greetings from way down under

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RickG, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickG

RickG Puritan Board Freshman

As a Kiwi, we sit slightly lower on the 'down under' rankings, compared to our Australian counterparts, but in reality, we could be upside down in the cosmological scheme of things, putting us on top, but I wont start that trans-Tasman debate here! :)

I'm humbled browsing these forums, and noting the great depth and insight evidenced by so many believers. What a blessing this resource is! It is greatly encouraging to see the large growth in Puritan interest over the last several decades, and the impact this has had in helping produce godly character and conversations both here, and in daily living.

The Lord has been very gracious to me, as I was a brand snatched from the fires myself, and grew up godless and irreverent, but conscious of a great Judge nevertheless. At the age of 20 the Lord arrested me upon an invitation to church, where I had planned to mock and scoff. No sooner had the second Sunday arrived, that I returned again for reasons unknown, and thus began my walk with the Lord, and His sanctifying work began. A great love for the Bible ensued and I devoured it (the Good News Bible at that time!).

Fast forward over 33 years, and I can attest to the Lord's faithfulness, love, protecting and moulding, through many difficult and trying times. In His grace He brought me quickly into Reformed circles, and I began to be challenged deeply in regards to the mechanisms and wonder of salvation. I recall 'happening' upon what was literally the oldest book on our church bookshelf, the rest being published well into the 20th Century, and I gravitated towards it for some reason. It happened to be Spurgeon's sermons on Sovereignty. I was gripped from that point forward and busily photocopied the entire book, and highlighted page after page. It was like being born again again!

Spurgeon, Albert N Martin, Ryle's Holiness, and much Dr M L-J were to follow. I am deeply indebted to Lloyd-Jones and his analytical approach, his diagnosis of sin and the human condition, and his perceptive insights on the need for the Spirit to work in conjunction with the Word. His history of reading is fascinating in seeing how he was brought to examine the Christian life in this way, and his connection with Edwards is key to understanding this I believe.

My late Father-in-Law was also a MLJ lover, but was honest enough to enjoy it when, on the rare occasion, he felt he could 'disagree' with the great Doctor! I too have reason to perhaps do so, but in humility, as I am very interested in understanding Covenant issues, particularly those related to baptism, and the continuity and discontinuity discussions. Having been of more Baptist persuasions for most of my Christian walk, I have been confronted with the need to examine this, and have seen great gaps in my understanding, particularly on Covenant issues, of which I am having to play catchup rather quickly! I have enjoyed viewing these issues now that I attend a Reformed Church, as I have the experience of loving brothers and sisters from my previous churches. This has given me a 'Bunyan-like' attitude towards this difference.

MLJ "Great Doctrine" series has a wonderful sermon on the sacrament of baptism, and I valued his approach in dealing with this sometimes difficult subject: he rendered both sides of the argument, valuing the depth and sincerity and godliness of each position, and only came down on one side, almost in the very last few sentences of the sermon. I take this as a fitting approach to issues such as this.

I have learnt a lot from Beeke also, and to assist, listened to well over 100 audio sermons related to these issues. His evangelistic fervour and piety have been a great blessing and influence on me, and I was fortunate enough to briefly thank him for these sermons when he visited here last year. I also have a staff member on these forums who has, over the years, supplied me with links to a great deal of resources and books. Thank you Stephen Smith! We have had some great discussions!

Greetings to all, and you may see my hanging around the Baptism forums for a while more, until, Lord willing, I move on to other areas of this great ocean of rich theology and discussion!

Blessings from way down under!
    Patrick

• Like Like x 3
    • Rejoicing Rejoicing x 1
    • List
  2. TylerRay

TylerRay Puritan Board Senior

Not another Kiwi! o_O

3. RickG

RickG Puritan Board Freshman

Haha - Kiwis are endangered species, and very hard to find these days :) but perhaps not so hard to find as many bush animals caught in the terrible fires in Australia. Heartbreaking to see the carnage with some we know being caught up in the destruction.

4. timfost

timfost Puritan Board Senior

Welcome! I look forward to getting to know you better!

5. JennyGeddes

JennyGeddes Puritan Board Freshman

Greetings!

6. Jeri Tanner

Jeri Tanner Moderator Staff Member

Very nice to have you on the PB! Welcome!

7. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

Welcome!

8. C. M. Sheffield

C. M. Sheffield Puritan Board Senior

Hello and welcome! The testimony of God's grace in your life is encouraging to hear. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to interacting on the board and hope you find time spent here edifying.

9. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator Staff Member

It is a pleasure to welcome a close and beloved friend to the Puritanboard. Patrick has a keen and analytical mind and we have shared much truth over the past few years. In particular we believe it is the doctrine of the Triune God that brings strength and consistency to Reformed theology - God's sovereign purpose in election, Christ redeeming His people, and also the vital work of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer and in strengthening the church and giving her power to worship and to witness. [1 Cor 2:4*5; 1 Thess 1:5] We both believe Dr Lloyd-Jones and Jonathan Edwards made important contributions here.

Welcome :)

10. py3ak

py3ak They're stalling and plotting against me Staff Member

Welcome, Patrick! It was encouraging to read your testimony. I also enjoyed Dr. Lloyd-Jones's series on The Great Doctrines of the Bible.

11. PhilA

PhilA Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome

12. Adam Olive

Adam Olive Puritan Board Freshman

Sorry about the smoke we have been sending your way.

13. Stephen L Smith

The smoke is a minor problem compared to what your countrymen are going through. Trust all your congregation are safe. What state are you in?

I have a number of friends who worship at the Cooma Reformed Bible Church in the Snowy Mountains, NSW. Two families (including the pastor) had to evacuate their homes last week. Thankfully they were able to return home safely.

14. Ed Walsh

Ed Walsh Puritan Board Junior

Greetings Patrick,

What a wonderful and well-written testimony. I read every word and may read it again. I think we have a lot in common where our backgrounds are concerned. My background was pretty dark. Perhaps darker than yours. But "the heart knoweth his own bitterness; and a stranger doth not intermeddle with his joy."

As a young Christian perhaps 22 years old I was struck over the head with the Reformed faith by a book that my Arminian pastor lent me, Spurgeon's Lectures to my Students, that convinced me of the Reformed faith, much to the disappointment of my dear friend the pastor. Like you, I have been blessed by much of Beeke's writings and sermons. And lately, I am devouring DMLJ sermons. He never ceases to surprise me with some of the things he believes that you do not very often here from a Reformed minister. I'm thinking particularly of his teachings on the work of the Holy Spirit in a believer.

By the way, I have been a Christian now for 47 years. In the last five years, I have enjoyed Him more than ever before in my life. For some reason, the mighty Lord has chosen to give me a foretaste of eternity while still here on earth. Praise His wonderful name, Yahweh, who "is above all blessing and praise." (Nehemiah 9:5)

Welcome, and I look forward to getting to know you better. Now I must get back to John chapter 15.

Ed Walsh

15. RPEphesian

RPEphesian Puritan Board Junior

Welcome!

16. hammondjones

hammondjones Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome!

17. Rutherglen1794

Rutherglen1794 Puritan Board Junior

Greetings.

18. Stephen L Smith