Greetings from Richmond, Virginia!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Hall

Puritan Board Freshman
I've been in the Lord 18 years and am a self-professed "Baptisterian" - a covenantal, sacramental credobaptist yet member of the PCA. I was once a paedobaptist, then converted to credobaptism after vigorous study when our first child was born in 2012. (We now have three kids.) I've recently been nominated for office in my church and have been back to wrestling through covenant theology, baptism, and ecclesiology. I'm mostly on here to seek answers to questions I have.

Hamalas

whippersnapper
Welcome! If you take a minute to set up your signature that will help us to get to know you better (and keep the Moderators happy). :)

Edward

Puritanboard Commissioner
Greetings.

I'm mostly on here to seek answers to questions I have.
While PCA members just have to answer the five constitutional questions, officers have to subscribe to the Constitutional documents of the church. You should decline the nomination at this point. And frankly, given what you have written, if your session would allow you to serve as an officer, you should seek a better church. There are plenty of ways to serve the church other than as an ordained officer.

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Sophomore
Greetings fellow Virginian! Always glad to see another countryman. Are you Virginian native?

Andrew Hall

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings.

While PCA members just have to answer the five constitutional questions, officers have to subscribe to the Constitutional documents of the church. You should decline the nomination at this point. And frankly, given what you have written, if your session would allow you to serve as an officer, you should seek a better church. There are plenty of ways to serve the church other than as an ordained officer.
My pastor has been clear that full confessional subscription to the WCF would be required. I decided to go ahead with the nomination and training process because I've been nominated for the office of elder three times in seven years and have received a lot of encouragement from members, friends, and family. So it has made me wonder if God is calling me to reconsider my understanding of baptism. If I cannot embrace paedobaptism with joy and a clear conscience, then I'll bow out.

Edward

Puritanboard Commissioner
My pastor has been clear that full confessional subscription to the WCF would be required. I decided to go ahead with the nomination and training process because I've been nominated for the office of elder three times in seven years and have received a lot of encouragement from members, friends, and family. So it has made me wonder if God is calling me to reconsider my understanding of baptism. If I cannot embrace paedobaptism with joy and a clear conscience, then I'll bow out.
Thankful to read that.

Timmay

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome. I’m just a short drive from you in Williamsburg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew35

Puritan Board Freshman
I thought that was because you are not allowed to leave your homes? ;)
Southern MI, maybe. They're more cautious about how they handle those of us from further up in the Mitten. And when you get to the UP, just forget it; an angry Finn on his native ground is not to be trifled with, as the Soviets discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.