Greetings from NH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey everyone,

Glad I found this forum. A nice reformed message board where I agree with most everyone. :p
My name is Jonathan and am currently a 17 year old senior prepping myself for college. The Lord has recently been working in my heart and has given me a desire to learn more about Him. I hope that through conversations with you all (y'all if your from the South; all y'all is the correct plural I believe) that I will learn more about our Lord. Feel free at any time to email me, IM me, etc. I would love to hear from you and hear how the Lord is working in your lives. I already have been challenged in a few areas just by reading some of your posts. Thank you and God Bless!

Jonathan

Jonathan

Puritan Board Freshman
Don't throw anything at me... I was planning on Bob Jones... Although theologically I do not agree with a lot of their teachings... it is the best college for what I am looking to go for. I was looking also at Patrick Henry in Virginia... but they do not have as broad a set of courses. My sister is currently down there so it would be nice to be there with her. Another advantage is that Faith Free Pres Church is close by and I know practically everyone from there.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Originally posted by Jonathan
Don't throw anything at me... I was planning on Bob Jones... Although theologically I do not agree with a lot of their teachings... it is the best college for what I am looking to go for. I was looking also at Patrick Henry in Virginia... but they do not have as broad a set of courses. My sister is currently down there so it would be nice to be there with her. Another advantage is that Faith Free Pres Church is close by and I know practically everyone from there.

Please, please don't go to Bob Jones!! It's your call, of course, but please, please don't!!

Patrick Henry is not far from where I live and there are good churches in the general vicinity. I can recommend some.

My :2cents:

Jonathan

Puritan Board Freshman
I am certain that a secular college is out of the question... BJU and PHC were my two choices it seems for good colleges. I am looking to be (unless led otherwise) a journalist. PHC has good stuff with journalism, yet I may not be able to afford it. God will provide the funds if he wants me there. I will be taking the ACT on the 11th... if I score a 31+ (I doubt I will), I will consider it God's leading to PHC.
Concerning churches in the general area of PHC, are there any good Presbyterian Churches? I noticed that you attend a reformed Presbyterian Church, sounds good.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Originally posted by Jonathan
I am certain that a secular college is out of the question... BJU and PHC were my two choices it seems for good colleges. I am looking to be (unless led otherwise) a journalist. PHC has good stuff with journalism, yet I may not be able to afford it. God will provide the funds if he wants me there. I will be taking the ACT on the 11th... if I score a 31+ (I doubt I will), I will consider it God's leading to PHC.
Concerning churches in the general area of PHC, are there any good Presbyterian Churches? I noticed that you attend a reformed Presbyterian Church, sounds good.

I know that PHC is expensive. I have not had much occasion to evaluate its curriculum, but I can put you in touch with students who attend if you like. Have you visited PHC yet?

There is a Reformed Presbyterian (RPCNA) congregation in Purcellville, which is primarily made up of PHC students. It is a mission work under the auspices of a Maryland RPCNA congregation, but has a pastor on-site, Kent Butterfield, who is a good friend of mine. More info at: http://www.reformedpresbyterian.org/cong_db.php?id=87

Me Died Blue

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Since you're only considering Christian schools, two I would recommend at least looking into are Wheaton College and Trinity International University. Trinity seems to somewhat allow for more liberal thought than Wheaton, but is intelligent. I visited both when I was planning on only applying to Christian colleges, and I got a good impression from both of them.

sastark

Puritan Board Graduate
Here's my two cents:

DON'T GO TO BOB JONES.

I would even venture to say that a state school would be better than Bob Jones.

Not throwing anything at you, only giving my opinion.

Will any PCAers recommend Covenant College? What about Erskine? Have you looked at Dordt College? Or Calvin College? (though Calvin, from what I have been told, is liberal). I only hear good things about Wheaton. I have friends who went to Hillsdale. Just be aware of all your choices.

Oh, and...Welcome to the Board!

BayouHuguenot

Puritanboard Amanuensis
:welcome:
I wish this board were active when I was preparing for college. Then on the other hand, there are certain people I met at LC that I wouldnot trade for the world.

Jonathan

Puritan Board Freshman
I would appreciate prayer in not doing what I want, but doing what God wills of me. I know that if I do God's will, even if it is going to BJU, he will in some way work it to His good. Thank you all for the references to colleges, churches, etc. I will look into them. Though I must disagree that a state school would be better than BJU. Being part of the Free Church, Faith Free in Greenville has a lot of "ties" (though lately they have gotten somewhat weaker) with BJ, and I must say, there is a lot of reformed influence in that school. More than you might imagine. I know upwards of 20 people personally who are reformed and going (or have gone) to BJ. Whatever I may do, I hope it is all to God's glory.

Craig

Puritan Board Senior
If BJU is the best option academically, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you have a solid church with ties there. From what I've heard, BJU is an academically rigorous school. I do know that Wheaton is an excellent school (very expensive), so is Taylor University (also expensive) and I don't know of any good churches terribly close by...Indianapolis would have some good Presbyterian churches, but that would be about an hour drive.

Oh, and by the way: :welcome:

PuritanCovenanter

Staff member
I'm not sure they would let you attend Faith Free Presbyterian. They like to keep there sheep shorn down there and they are careful about which pastures they graze in. At least they use to be that away.

Welcome to The Board!:welcome: The theological education you can get from here will far surpass anything you get at Poor Old Bob Jones.:banghead:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
:detective::detective::detective::detective::detective::detective::detective:
:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:
:handshake::handshake::handshake::handshake::handshake::handshake::handshake:
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

[Edited on 11-30-2004 by puritancovenanter]

PuritanCovenanter

Staff member
Hey Craig, did you know Sue Lutz grew up sittin on ole John R. Rice's Knee. I just wondered if you knew that. She was originally from Georgia I Think.

Jonathan

Puritan Board Freshman
The morning service is required to be the BJ chapel but at night you are allowed to go to Faith Free. They have a bus that goes there.

Status
Not open for further replies.