Greetings From Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Taylor

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello from Kentucky. I am looking forward to joining here. I assist our Senior Pastor by preaching at our Sunday Night Service.

You will see that we are a United Methodist Church and probably wonder what in the world I am doing in a UMC and/or doing here?

Well, as many of you know, the UMC is in turmoil. Our church is UMC in name only. They leave us alone. We don't even use the UMC in our name. The reason we are still technically UMC is due to something called the "Trust Clause" which states essentially that even though we hold the deed to our property it is not really ours.

We are trying to figure out how to get out of the denomination legally with our property.

We identify with Baptist denominations.

You can view my website at https://reformedtruths.com

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the board. Is this church property issue something secret? I ask because Introductions is a public forum.

Edward

Puritanboard Commissioner
Greetings.

Hopefully the Africans will provide enough leverage that the results will be more fair than what we saw for many of the ECUSA and PCUSA splits. But I'm not sure that that would actually help you all, since the choices would be between two Methodist bodies, and not independency as I understand the proposal.

This may well be old news to you, but:
One of the large UMC churches in Texas has voted to pull out of the denomination; you might want to monitor that and see how that develops.
(Grace Fellowship United Methodist Church, Katy, TX). From a news story: "But Leggett and Jones said Grace Fellowship is not seeking to leave under 2553. Instead, it’s using paragraph 2548.2"

David Taylor

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings.

Hopefully the Africans will provide enough leverage that the results will be more fair than what we saw for many of the ECUSA and PCUSA splits. But I'm not sure that that would actually help you all, since the choices would be between two Methodist bodies, and not independency as I understand the proposal.

This may well be old news to you, but:
One of the large UMC churches in Texas has voted to pull out of the denomination; you might want to monitor that and see how that develops.
(Grace Fellowship United Methodist Church, Katy, TX). From a news story: "But Leggett and Jones said Grace Fellowship is not seeking to leave under 2553. Instead, it’s using paragraph 2548.2"
Yes, that church had the cooperation of their Bishop and annual conference. We do not have that luxury.

The Africans are actually advocating to find ways to stay together.

As far as the proposal, yes, you would have to split to another Methodist Denomination. However, I have assurances from those that would lead the Traditional that they will not have a Trust Clause and we could vote to leave at that time.

timfost

Puritan Board Senior
Welcome to the board!

I'm wondering: for those who are UMC in name only, is there a general movement in one theological direction or another? Baptist? Reformed? Other? Just curious... :)

David Taylor

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome to the board!

I'm wondering: for those who are UMC in name only, is there a general movement in one theological direction or another? Baptist? Reformed? Other? Just curious... :)
Most want to stay Methodist, but either in another Methodist Denomination or Independent. Definitely not a move toward Reformed. We are definitely an anomaly in that department as Methodism is decidedly Arminian. Our church is different due to those of us that are preaching that are there by locational circumstance and believe the doctrines of grace.

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Freshman
So how did a Methodist officer become Reformed? Has your congregation/leaders always been a Reformed Methodist group? Excuse my ignorance but isn't Methodism inherently not Reformed?

David Taylor

Puritan Board Freshman
So how did a Methodist officer become Reformed? Has your congregation/leaders always been a Reformed Methodist group? Excuse my ignorance but isn't Methodism inherently not Reformed?
Well, we live in a very small rural area. The church has been methodist since the 1840's. And yes, Methodism, as a general rule, is not reformed. I actually did not know the church was UMC until I had been attending for a while. They don't use the UMC name. We had been considering joining the church (my wife and I) but when I found out it was UMC I had very real reservations for obvious reasons.

I met with the pastor and he said they are more like a baptist church than methodist. I probed further, he explained where he differs with the UMC, and it was a lot.

I later found most of the congregation had found each other and came from Baptist churches. So how did it happen? I don't know. I've been in the Reformed camp for a long time. How the rest of them got there? Not really sure, other than studying the Bible. ;)

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Freshman
Well, we live in a very small rural area. The church has been methodist since the 1840's. And yes, Methodism, as a general rule, is not reformed. I actually did not know the church was UMC until I had been attending for a while. They don't use the UMC name. We had been considering joining the church (my wife and I) but when I found out it was UMC I had very real reservations for obvious reasons.

I met with the pastor and he said they are more like a baptist church than methodist. I probed further, he explained where he differs with the UMC, and it was a lot.

I later found most of the congregation had found each other and came from Baptist churches. So how did it happen? I don't know. I've been in the Reformed camp for a long time. How the rest of them got there? Not really sure, other than studying the Bible. ;)
Interesting. My mother comes from the UMC. My grandfather was a UMC chaplain and left it for a charismatic church. Last time I spoke with him he insinuated he wasn't a Christian when he was a Methodist. My mother stopped attending church when she was 10, and didn't get back into it in her late twenties, no thanks to my grandfather.

I'm glad you're here brother. My mother and I are in a very interesting Southern Baptist church as Presbyterians. I can empathize with being in a less than ideal church.

GulfCoast Presbyterian

Puritan Board Junior
Welcome! I went through the PCUSA property-battles for mine and a couple of other churches. Prayers sent your church will emerge with its property and witness intact.

Jake

Puritan Board Junior
A congregationalist, credo-baptist, conservative congregation in an episcopal, paedo-baptist, liberal denomination! You certainly have a lot to contend with there! I hope your congregation is able to find a more suitable place where there is not bureaucracy and creed issues.

wcf_linux

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome!

It's a sad, terrible thing the way some denominations use properties and pensions as leverage against conscience.

PuritanCovenanter

Staff member
https://world.wng.org/2020/01/machen_s_miracles_methodists_morality

I just read this. A guy I discipled is UMC in Florida and has been in a major struggle for decades to keep his home Church in tact and the Bible as its authority. I applaud the effort. He is actually my very best friend. He can tell you things about me. I can tell you things about him. He is my kids go to when they need to reel me in. He comes up to visit me a few times a year. We were in the Navy and the Navigators together. A brother like that is very hard to find. I have them at my Church but he is my closest friend. We have gone around and around about his Church but he has struggled to keep it sound and overly patiently in my opinion. It is working out for him. Keep the faith brother as long as you can. Cut the cord when it will be needed. He tends to be a Barnabas.

Welcome to the Puritanboard.

Last edited:

C. M. Sheffield

Puritan Board Senior
Hello and welcome, David. Glad to have you here on the board. Sorry to hear your church is in some way yoked to the UMC. I pray God is pleased to bring your church out of the UMC and into conformity with his Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.