Greetings from an Alliance Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan

Puritan Board Freshman

"As I know that I was once born by reason that I now live, I know that I was once born again by reason that I now live in Him."​

W
hen giving my testimony, that's usually where I'll begin. I've been asked before when Jesus saved me, and I have never arrived at a more concrete answer, other than to say that I know I am His. I don't remember the moment when I was first convicted of sin, when I first repented, when I first believed. I've known Him since I was a boy, though I've certainly come to know Him better over the years. I was raised by two loving Christian parents and brought up in a local C&MA church in the little town of Flushing, Ohio, where I continue in fellowship with my wife of four years, Gini. I began leading our Wednesday night Bible studies this past September and have been given several opportunities to preach by the elders as they have begun training me and my older brother up for ministry. I am a college graduate and manage a couple of banks in the West Virginia panhandle, but have always felt drawn to preaching and teaching and have a passion for the Word of God. Lord willing, I will soon be enrolling myself in the C&MA's ministerial studies program for further training. I have been a longtime reader of the Puritan Board and have learned a great deal from your discussions. I look forward to taking part in them and am grateful for the opportunity to be a member of this community.

May the Lord bless you,

-Nathan

Vox Oculi

Puritan Board Freshman
How exciting! The Gospel really does transcend class and location. The idea of having a Christian banker in my little black book is an exciting thought for someone who's cautiously optimistic about escaping future calamity coming to the USA. Suppose the govt orders banks to freeze assets of Christians. Eh, I'm getting way ahead of myself. But your side mention of your occupation made me start thinking about the possibility that online communities formed between believing Christians today could very well be a lifeline in the future when persecution comes our way.
/serious talk

Nice to meet you, Nate. I'm a recent member, too. Be happy to knock ideas back and forth, since I'm also not seminary trained but have benefited much from theological resources on the web.

reaganmarsh

Puritan Board Senior
Welcome to the PB! You'll find many godly and well-trained elders here to help you along the journey.

Grace to you.

Jake

Puritan Board Junior
Welcome! Are Reformed folks common in the CM&A? Are there any conflicts between their doctrine and your confession, assuming premillennialism?

Nathan

Puritan Board Freshman
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

How exciting! The Gospel really does transcend class and location. The idea of having a Christian banker in my little black book is an exciting thought for someone who's cautiously optimistic about escaping future calamity coming to the USA. Suppose the govt orders banks to freeze assets of Christians. Eh, I'm getting way ahead of myself. But your side mention of your occupation made me start thinking about the possibility that online communities formed between believing Christians today could very well be a lifeline in the future when persecution comes our way.
/serious talk

Nice to meet you, Nate. I'm a recent member, too. Be happy to knock ideas back and forth, since I'm also not seminary trained but have benefited much from theological resources on the web.
Glad to meet you, Vox. We're most certainly heading down a new road as Christians in America, and I often wonder if what's to come will be the Lord's purging of the nominal and His strengthening of those who truly belong to Him. I can't help but think about Daniel 9, where we're told that Daniel was wearying himself in prayer on behalf of his people, and confessing not only their sin but his own, and pouring himself out before God and pleading for forgiveness and deliverance. We're told the angel Gabriel came to him and assured him first that he was greatly loved. Then he delivered one of the most incredible prophecies in the Scriptures and told him of the coming of Messiah. Not only was God going to provide freedom from bondage for Daniel's people, and the redemption and deliverance he so desperately sought Him for, but the Lord was going to send the One who would deliver mankind from spiritual bondage and bring ultimate redemption and deliverance, not just to Daniel's people, but to all of God's people throughout creation. God showed that He was "able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think (Ephesians 3:20)" for Daniel, and I believe He will do the same for us, His greatly loved in America. If all of us brothers would dedicate ourselves to that kind of prayer, if we would weary ourselves as Daniel did, I truly believe the Lord would do such a work in this country that it would cause the whole world to tremble. It's a convicting thought. While I have prayed often for our country, how often have I wearied myself as Daniel did?

Welcome! Are Reformed folks common in the CM&A? Are there any conflicts between their doctrine and your confession, assuming premillennialism?
Greetings, Jake. From my experiences, the C&MA encompasses a broad range as far as having adherents to reformed doctrine and I have met brothers who found themselves along different points of the spectrum. I subscribe to the London Baptist Confession, which is not directly at odds with Premillennialism, and though that particular conviction is very central to the Alliance's missionary vision and is included in the denomination's "statement of faith," I have not yet reached a place where I am persuaded enough to declare for myself an absolute stance on the millennial issue, other than to say that I do not subscribe to dispensational premillennialism in any respect. I do consider historic premillennialism a possibility, though I have, over the years, found myself in the postmillennial and amillennial camps. I am certainly not in any way opposed to that persuasion, which I had to make clear to the elders before joining the Alliance. I actually struggled with this particular issue the most when considering membership at my local church and my wife and I attended for many years before finally adding our names to the membership rolls. Although I never want to cast eschatology in any unimportant light, it does seem secondary to the doctrines of the Trinity, virgin birth, resurrection, etc. insomuch as those things have no room for debate, whereas the millennial issue, at least this side of glory, seems to be a less essential point of agreement. All of us will certainly be on the same page one of these days, when the Lord returns and all questions are answered.

May the Lord keep you,

-Nathan

BGF

Puritan Board Sophomore
Welcome to the Board! We've got a former C&MA pastor in our congregation. Other than some brief conversations with him, I am unfamiliar with the organization.

SRoper

Puritan Board Graduate
Welcome! My wife's family attended a C&MA church in Ohio (before becoming Presbyterian).

Status
Not open for further replies.