Greek word

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupotea

Puritan Board Junior
I'm reading Steve Camp's blog and here's what I read:

8. The Body of Christ Turned Into Political Agitators
Co-belligerents really distrust the Sovereignty of God in His working through the governments and the leadership of those governments that He by His own choosing, purposes and will has raised up in power to accomplish whatever He has predetermined them to accomplish. Even wicked, corrupt, insidious authorities He will ultimately use for His eternal purpose and glory.

There is an amazing verse of Scripture on this theme found in 1 Peter 4:15. He says, "Make sure that none of you suffers as a murderer, or thief, or evildoer, or a troublesome meddler." That phrase troublesome meddler literally means a "political agitator." Peter warns them not to suffer for that reason... Suffering as a Christian and for the name of Christ is one thing; suffering as a political agitator though brings no glory to the Lord and is forbidden biblically. We are not to be seen in the culture as ones who would disrupt the political process and its leadership to forward our own moral or spiritual agenda.

he says "That phrase troublesome meddler literally means a "political agitator"", I look up my lexicon and couldn't find this meaning, could somebody help?

Thanks

Dubious

NET Bible Note said:
The meaning of the Greek word used here is uncertain. It may mean "spy, informer," "revolutionary," or "defrauder, embezzler." But the most likely meaning is "busybody, one who meddles in the affairs of others, troublesome meddler."

There is insufficient evidence to warrant Camp's claim. No standard lexicon prefers that rendering.

NET Bible Note said:
The meaning of the Greek word used here is uncertain. It may mean "spy, informer," "revolutionary," or "defrauder, embezzler." But the most likely meaning is "busybody, one who meddles in the affairs of others, troublesome meddler."

There is insufficient evidence to warrant Camp's claim. No standard lexicon prefers that rendering.

He could be going with Lenski, who translates it this way. MacArthur also has a sermon in which he makes reference to this notion.

ἀλλοτριεπίσκοπος

ἀλλότριος

Word Origin
from allos

Definition
"belonging to another"

NASB Word Usage
another (2), another man's (1), another's (1), foreign (3), other men's (1), others (1), own (1), stranger (1), strangers (3).

ἐπίσκοπος
Word Origin
from epi and skopos
Definition
"a superintendent, an overseer"

NASB Word Usage
guardian (1), overseer (2), overseers (2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back