Status
Not open for further replies.

J.L. Allen

Puritan Board Sophomore
Mods, please move if this is in the wrong section.

Ok folks,

Before starting seminary next year (Lord willing), I wanted to get people's opinions on Greek grammar textbooks. I have a few textbooks already from my studies at Moody. As listed:
1. A Primer for Biblical Greek by N. Clayton Croy (this is the one we used at Moody)
2. Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar (4th Ed.) by Mounce ( I have a few supplemental resources along with that. My wife preferred Mounce when she was at Bible college)
3. New Testament Greek Grammar for Beginners by Machen (this was a free PDF that I couldn't pass up getting)

How do those systems compare to each other? Learning the paradigms was tricky and seemed to be counterintuitive. Is there a more natural way? I'm really wanting to brush up on my Greek and Hebrew before starting.

I just recently came across this resource and wanted to see if people were familiar with it. Easy Peasy Biblical Greek by Grant Hawley. It seems to be different than other approaches.

Mounce is the standard. Isn't perfect, but the layout and formatting is quite good. Most schools will use Mounce.
When I was working through Croy's grammar, my wife would often be baffled at the frustrating layout. She said Mounce was much more accessible. The one positive I've heard about Croy is that it's better for referencing to later.

What do you like about the layout? What areas is it not "perfect?"

For NT Greek, I don't think you can beat Mounce. Mounce explains things so clearly, and has a readily accessible outline. For Greek beyond the NT, namely, classical Greek, Anne Groton's From Alpha to Omega in the fourth edition, is stellar.

And there's no substitute for learning the paradigms. Sorry. But you can study how the paradigms help each other. For instance, study the definite article and have all forms memorized, and you'll have most of the first and second declension nouns, and a lot of the participles accessible, too.

For NT Greek, I don't think you can beat Mounce. Mounce explains things so clearly, and has a readily accessible outline. For Greek beyond the NT, namely, classical Greek, Anne Groton's From Alpha to Omega in the fourth edition, is stellar.

And there's no substitute for learning the paradigms. Sorry. But you can study how the paradigms help each other. For instance, study the definite article and have all forms memorized, and you'll have most of the first and second declension nouns, and a lot of the participles accessible, too.
Thanks for the pro-tip on the paradigms and the definite article. Mounce seems to be the way to go. I wish we had used it at Moody. I believe MARS uses Croy, too. :/

What do you do for maintenance?

Yes, as my pastor highly recommends that book.

It tells you how to translate and interpret highly technical linguistic issues in Greek. It assumes you already know basic Greek grammar quite intimately, and as a result tells you very little about paradigms, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back